If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:57 pm

If imitation is a pedagogical psyop offering reconstructions of stuff and things said, sort of a knowledge corrective, is it still sincere flattery? :popcorn:

edit: That is to say, what's your protocol for inserting correctives discretely aimed at others in online dialogue?
Should that be a thing?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Tags:

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:42 am

Too many colors in that one for me to tackle when I'm about to go to sleep, but I will say that I once mentioned on a writing forum that I didn't want to be someone's ghost writer and people got offended. I guess mostly the ghost writers. So how's a guy supposed to "insert correctives discretely" if he can't even say that about his own person? Maybe if something's generally considered acceptable you shouldn't speak the least bit negatively about it, mainly when it's a part of someone's life. Well, I still hate bad writers taking credit for something they're not capable of, so that's one time I'd risk upsetting people.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:57 am

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:42 am
Too many colors in that one for me to tackle when I'm about to go to sleep, but I will say that I once mentioned on a writing forum that I didn't want to be someone's ghostwriter and people got offended. I guess mostly the ghostwriters. So how's a guy supposed to "insert correctives discretely" if he can't even say that about his own person? Maybe if something's generally considered acceptable you shouldn't speak the least bit negatively about it, mainly when it's a part of someone's life. Well, I still hate bad writers taking credit for something they're not capable of, so that's one time I'd risk upsetting people.
I haven't anything substantive to say, just wanted to know if you needed me to validate your parking?
Also, good advice. :hat:

P.S. Grammarly mushed "ghost" and "writer" together for you (she's on retainer - no thanks are in order).
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:30 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:57 am
P.S. Grammarly mushed "ghost" and "writer" together for you (she's on retainer - no thanks are in order).
Microsoft recently emailed me about a new writing extension:
Get intelligent writing assistance
Write with confidence across documents, email, and the web. With features that help strengthen your spelling, grammar, and style, let Microsoft Editor be your intelligent writing assistant on LinkedIn, Google docs (beta), Facebook, Gmail, and many other locations.
I don't like Word's suggestions half the time so I'm reluctant.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:11 pm

(temporarily revised thread title) Do you ever get gassed up because you think someone's talking smack to you subliminally but there isn't enough evidence to hand out a dose of lurid street justice?

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:38 am

TV show/movie built a time machine and stole my marbles. Wizardry!

Check out Y: The Last Man, Tethered... no that's it. Now scram while I get to cracking this case!

(edit) Just watch the shows. Also, Foundations wasn't half bad if you don't ever read sci-fi that is. :jerk:

Y: The Last Man is basically a patchwork of ideas I tossed around in the past year documented in random posts and possibly deleted and/or edited - seems all of it was conveniently lifted and turned into a TV show. I'm the main character (monkey boy - kid with stupid sense of humor with a spider monkey sidekick, has no life, livelihood supported via paternal assistance, etc - magician aka wizard). The women all have crazy cool faces. The elite government assassin is "Mikey" with better dreads than I did in my Photoshop rendering where the black lady has fire in her pupils. That show does a lot of black woman with light reflecting from eyes camera shots.

I could go on about Tethered also. I love being entertaining/synchronicity.

(edit) *Pinocchio nose impales an old man crossing the street to church*
Last edited by SomeInternetBloke on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Ferrus is in Tethered, albeit as a bit of a square, but it's him of one of the multiverses theory thing.