Ancestry

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Re: Ancestry

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:00 am

Here's stuff about my neanderthal side. I prefer milk chocolate and I don't like heights but whatever.
You have more Neanderthal DNA than 64% of other customers.
Neanderthals were prehistoric humans who interbred with modern humans before disappearing around 40,000 years ago.

Summary
Scientific Details
What does this mean?

You inherited a small amount of DNA from your Neanderthal ancestors. Out of the 7,462 variants we tested, we found 248 variants in your DNA that trace back to the Neanderthals.

All together, your Neanderthal ancestry accounts for less than ~2 percent of your DNA.

You have Neanderthal DNA that may influence your traits
This report highlights associations between your Neanderthal variants and your traits, but it does not explore how other factors may be involved — such as your many other DNA variants, your environment, or your lifestyle.

You have two variants associated with
having difficulty discarding rarely-used possessions.

being less likely to have a fear of heights.

You have one variant associated with
being less likely to have hitchhiker's thumb.

You have three variants associated with
being a better sprinter than distance runner.

being less likely to prefer salty foods over sweet.

being less likely to have a chin dimple.

having more dandruff.

eating leafy greens less frequently.

being more likely to prefer dark chocolate over milk chocolate.

being less likely to sneeze after eating dark chocolate.

Neanderthal Facts
The word “Neanderthal” is a nod to a 17th-century German theologian named Joachim Neander and the secluded valley (Thal) he loved to visit. Nearly 200 years after Neander’s death, peculiar bones were found in the valley — initially believed to belong to a human with bone deformities (it was, in fact, a Neanderthal). It wasn’t until 1886, when two nearly complete Neanderthal skeletons were found in Belgium, that the scientific community recognized the remains for what they were — a unique flavor of human.

starjots

Post by starjots » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:58 am

Yup, I was initially excited about having above-average amount of Neanderthal genes, but they revised me down to average.

Speaking of which, 23andme should be able to track Denosovian genes as well. Might be good for marketing to the Asian market considering that's where half the world's population lives.

starjots

Post by starjots » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:06 pm

My sister ended up with some old photographs from my grandmother via my aunt who recently died. She lent them to me and asked me to do something with them.

So I started working on my ancestry again after a five year hiatus. The best photos are being scanned and posted online in the hope that other distant relatives doing genealogy might benefit from them as well.

The best photos are from the 1920s and 1930s -- somebody back then, perhaps my grandmother, had a decent camera and knew how to compose and focus a shot. They also had their pictures taken at studios from time to time. So I thought I'd post a few here at reduced resolution and discuss why I think they are interesting.
Webb Sisters Small.jpg
Webb Sisters Small.jpg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 11113 times
Taken about 1922. My grandmother and her sisters. I knew all of these people as old ladies. There is something very neat about seeing people in their prime, just starting out on their life's journey. These women/girls were born and raised on a farm in Texas. But clearly, they still liked to dress up a bit.

starjots

Post by starjots » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:35 pm

Medah and Chester Small.jpg
Medah and Chester Small.jpg (152.24 KiB) Viewed 11110 times
Taken around 1933. The photo itself isn't dated, but I know who the people are and when they were born. Babies are especially useful here for dating.

This is my grandmother's sister in law and husband in Portales, New Mexico. This photo reminds me of classic depression-era dustbowl pictures. This photo was taken during the depression and in the dustbowl area and this is a farm. But then you see the guy's smiling and wearing a suit, they're driving a decent car and everyone looks clean. They are going to be okay.

The composition of this photo is amazing.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:21 am

starjots wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:35 pm
Medah and Chester Small.jpg

Taken around 1933. The photo itself isn't dated, but I know who the people are and when they were born. Babies are especially useful here for dating.

This is my grandmother's sister in law and husband in Portales, New Mexico. This photo reminds me of classic depression-era dustbowl pictures. This photo was taken during the depression and in the dustbowl area and this is a farm. But then you see the guy's smiling and wearing a suit, they're driving a decent car and everyone looks clean. They are going to be okay.

The composition of this photo is amazing.
I was just going to just upvote though wrote too much.

That is pretty good. The photo looks very reminiscent of that time in particular, and practically everyone who lived through it was affected by it. My grandmother would retell how of the 11 children she grew up with (in Indiana,) they dove into an outhouse trying to retrieve a half-dollar coin that was gifted to her by an uncle (who never had children of his own to gift money to.)

When my grandmother was old enough to leave Indiana to work in a grape field in California, it still seemed reminiscent of a John Steinbeck novel.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2