Contemporary art

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Contemporary art

Post by Utisz » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:25 am

What d'yall think of contemporary art in the ilk of Damien Hirst or Piss Christ and the likes?

Immersion (Piss Christ) is a 1987 photograph by the American artist and photographer Andres Serrano. It depicts a small plastic crucifix submerged in a small glass tank of the artist's urine. The piece was a winner of the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art's "Awards in the Visual Arts" competition, which was sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts, a United States Government agency that offers support and funding for artistic projects.

Tags:

Ferrus

Re: Contemporary art

Post by Ferrus » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:12 am

Mainly indifference and lack of interest.

I'm more interested in historical art because of the complexity of the symbolism and what it reveaks about the cultural consciousness of the era.
Ex falso, quodlibet

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:42 pm

Grr, strong visceral ... Meh, same as Ferrus. Also, I think it's a club for clever folk who know too much. :lol:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:23 pm

I do remember some outrage about the Piss Christ years ago. I don't really follow that sort of art but I think it's hilarious, especially when it provokes some twats I don't like.

Damien Hirst reminds me of a story a tattoo artist told me. He brought some bobcat roadkill into the classroom for a university art project, which disgusted the professor, caused some general upset and I believe got him temporarily suspended. He's a really good painter regardless.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:48 pm

If I were the National Endowment for the Arts, I'd send the Southeastern Center a fecal stained copy of the sponsorship contract and make a rule requiring disclosure of every exhibit before sponsorship.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:06 pm

I don’t find piss Christ any more degrading than what He experienced during His crucifixion. I don’t think it’s good art. Just NEA-funded trolling. Anything under the umbrella of Duchamp’s urinal is trash to me. I’d classify it as all concept and no technique. There’s a lot of great *contemporary artists not making high concept/low effort objets d’money-laundering. It’s a shame the super rich are too financially invested in extending their own rapacious lives to become the patrons of a new generation of masters in the classical tradition.

*a word I hate. What does it even mean? Alive? Who lets words become contronyms? They should be crucified alongside Christo.
Last edited by MoneyJungle on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:55 pm

They should do a French submarine in piss.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:53 am

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:55 pm
They should do a French submarine in piss.
It would be retreating too quickly to get a good photo.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:03 am

Not a fan of it as art.

I think it is very much a case of 'the Emperor has no clothes' and that artists like Damian Hirst and tracy Emin are very aware of this and laughing into their sleeves whilst bilking gullible people for silly money. I don't have a problem with this, indeed I find it amusing, but wouldn't be putting any of it up on my own walls (assuming I could afford to).

Having said all that I am not anti all modern art, if something is nice too look it or interesting I don't suppose it matters if it was technically difficult to achieve. I can appreciate ugly art in a gallery, but want art my own home to be pleasant to look at. I wouldn't want a Lowry on my wall, over a Monet for example.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:28 am

I think this piece of art prevented its creator from suffering the immeasurable torture of his ennui at a time. Kind of ironic. I'm not saying God isn't all love and stuff and that's his reason for creating, within a religious paradigm. Just that it doesn't matter who you are. You need something to pass the time.

I like to think Utisz solves problems, like his job and making a (cool) website, to achieve a similar aim. Just plain ole responsible if you ask me.

Tangentially unrelated to the previous sentence but related to the ones before it - in my most morose moments when a piece of me is jettisoned into my pants, I tend to fancy myself a walking piece of contemporary art. I once saw some lude BBC special about modern art including someone's explanation for Jackson Pollock's rise to fame (when actuality it's the elites trolling us of course) and some lovey British Mum concocting a patay (sp) out of an organ that rhymes with jacinta. :ph34r:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi