Falling for bad boys / Gabby Petito

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Falling for bad boys / Gabby Petito

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:36 pm

How likely is it that Brian Laundrie showed no signs of being a bad person before Gabby decided to marry him? He probably had a history of credit card fraud and I bet she knew about it. I bet they did drugs. I bet there were other things. When I've hung out with bad people I knew they were bad and wished I was hanging out with someone better no matter how much fun we were having (it usually wasn't so much fun anyway). And I certainly wouldn't marry one of them.

Roger Mexico

Re: Falling for bad boys / Gabby Petito

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:36 am

Any two people will have different ideas about what constitutes a reliable sign of personality traits that haven't yet been fully displayed.

Plus there's a confirmation bias problem.

Once you know that a situation ended badly, it's typically easy to find "red flags" in retrospect--but how many times have similar "signs" been exhibited by people who never turned out to be anything too far from normal?

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:34 am

People need to care more about bad things smaller than murder. You need to expect that a person's worst hasn't yet been seen. I think a totally straight laced person, at least by my standards, won't be killing his fiancee. I mean even down to not getting drunk on the weekend.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:28 pm

I think most reasonable people see the red flags but choose to ignore them, see them as relative, consider "mitigating factors" and essentially talk themselves into whatever they want to believe instead. This doesn't just go for romantic relationships, it's a very human attitude to life in general.

The craziest ex I had (who started threatening to kill me when we broke up) was perceivably crazy to me since before we dated. One of my first interactions with him was on an elevator where he said something I found strange considering the fact that there was another person in the elevator with us who was a complete stranger. He didn't really say anything crazy, it was just borderline indiscreet. And I knew then that he had no idea of boundaries. I ignored him for 6 months but he got out of the depressive phase and into the manic one when I figured maybe he wasn't so bad. Good going.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:57 pm

I've got no first hand experience (in the sense that when I spot crazy, I usually distance myself immediately, so I can't envision a long term relationship with crazy), but I would have to think the signs would manifest before things turn drastic. I mean, can a person hide anger management issues for 2-3 years? I would guess not. He probably slapped her around before, but who knows, maybe an expert psychopath can keep up an act for quite some time.

Women need to have a one and done policy when it comes to partner violence. Or at least after one episode, make it clear if there is a next time, that will be it. And then follow through.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:19 pm

It looks like they found Laundrie's partial remains.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:58 am

Women are attracted to 'dark triad' personality traits. I have an aunt that married a man that was considered a "bad boy" despite having a staunch religious interest, and when the man ends up taking tens of thousands of dollars he was paid as a contracter to work on someone's property he impulsively buys some vintage classic muscle car (he even had the Randy from Southpark mustache and resembled him,) and when he could no longer save face he ends up blowing his brains out in their bedroom. I suspect something similar happened here where poor impulse control leads to irreversible decisions.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 5%20traits.

Some fraudulent douchebag named Steve Huff is claiming he channeled Gabby who pointed out he was dead weeks in advance (though of course it was kind of expected.)

Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2