Should I have fought this guy???

Worldly and otherworldly topics
MoneyJungle

Should I have fought this guy???

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:57 am

I was walking through an old residential area the other day. I crossed into a crosswalk and I saw this car speeding towards me. I slowed down in protest of how fast this car was driving, not to a complete stop but a defiantly slow traipse. The car was forced to slow down. I got to the corner and resumed walking at my previous pace. I got about ten feet from the intersection and heard a guy yell ‘Bitch ass [n word] Get the fuck out of the fucking street BITCH!’ I turned around and a young guy was leaning out of his car window staring right at me. I stood there and held his gaze but didn’t say anything for roughly fifteen seconds. He put his head back in his car and peeled out without saying anything.

I thought he might circle the block and throw something at me or attack me so I kept my head on a swivel for a while but I didn’t see any sign of him. Did I just get punked? Have I been a bitch this whole time? Are you obligated to get beat up by randos to have dignity? I’d bet the last time I got punched in the face was before this guy was even born. He’d probably wreck me but the guys in prison would definitely wreck him. What I should have said: “I’m not in the street.”

Of course, it’s possible that I punked him because he didn’t really get within punching range of me and I didn’t necessarily back down so much as stand there like an idiot. Have I been a hard case this whole time? Are people obligated to get their feelings hurt by my extended silences? I’d probably hurt this guy’s feelings but the guys in prison would definitely hurt mine. What he should have said: “I don’t care what you think.”

Would you bully me if you saw me on the street knowing that you could do so with impunity? Do you think less of me for not throwing hands with every Tom, Dick and Harry with whom I have a traffic dispute? How do you dispatch people who disrespect you? Would get randomly beat up just to shake up your dull life?

Roger Mexico

Re: Should I have fought this guy???

Post by Roger Mexico » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:00 am

Wait, something eerily similar to this happened to me in San Francisco once.

Was the guy by any chance driving a neon-blue Mazda with a spoiler on it, wearing a plastic tuxedo the exact same color as his car, and driving with sunglasses on at 10:00 at night?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 am

It never would have occurred to me you'd even have to holler at a driver from a sidewalk, is this a guy thing? I guess I have seen pedestrians shout at drivers before but it's usually a woman standing right in front of a car and threatening to dent it.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:24 pm

I vote no. Holding gaze is also my go-to option, and then think about beating the shit out of him over a nice cup of tea later.

Buttrock as zen
Formerly: stuck

Post by Buttrock as zen » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:22 am

sometimes people ask me why I powerlift as a middle aged man, and I don't answer them, but I do think back to my fantasies of picking up a los angeles manhole cover and smashing it through the car roof and skull of drivers who want to use their vehicle to intimidate me as I saunter through the grid. then i change the subject.

those manhole covers weigh a good 250 pounds. my powerclean is at around 185. best case scenario i waddle it over and smash their window and dump it in their lap. those are some dice im willing to roll, and i think you can feel that vibe coming off of me.

lets be real nobody asks me if or why i powerlift.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:03 am

Roger Mexico wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:00 am
Wait, something eerily similar to this happened to me in San Francisco once.

Was the guy by any chance driving a neon-blue Mazda with a spoiler on it, wearing a plastic tuxedo the exact same color as his car, and driving with sunglasses on at 10:00 at night?
I’m no expert on cars but if you wore a plastic tux in Sac you’d melt.
Madrigal wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 am
It never would have occurred to me you'd even have to holler at a driver from a sidewalk, is this a guy thing? I guess I have seen pedestrians shout at drivers before but it's usually a woman standing right in front of a car and threatening to dent it.
Guys are generally cool to me. Women yell stuff at me from their cars but it’s usually of a bachelorette party vibe. Surely if a car stops in Buenos Aires and the driver insults a pedestrian an exchange ensues.
Utisz wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:24 pm
I vote no. Holding gaze is also my go-to option, and then think about beating the shit out of him over a nice cup of tea later.
I had a coffee and wondered what degree of black eye would preclude me from serving customers
Buttrock as zen wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:22 am
sometimes people ask me why I powerlift as a middle aged man, and I don't answer them, but I do think back to my fantasies of picking up a los angeles manhole cover and smashing it through the car roof and skull of drivers who want to use their vehicle to intimidate me as I saunter through the grid. then i change the subject.

those manhole covers weigh a good 250 pounds. my powerclean is at around 185. best case scenario i waddle it over and smash their window and dump it in their lap. those are some dice im willing to roll, and i think you can feel that vibe coming off of me.

Keep lifting until you can split a Smart Car in twain with a manhole cover for sneaking up on you. You got this!

Park

Post by Park » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Buttrock as zen wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:22 am
:-)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3436&p=7784#p7784

starjots

Post by starjots » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:11 am

I think you've qualified yourself as brave. Given the crazy people in this world, that was enough.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:24 pm

Of course you shouldn't have fought him, and you shouldn't have slowed down to mess with him. Set your ego aside and avoid these pointless conflicts, for the sake of your mental health if nothing else.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:06 pm

puerile_polyp wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:24 pm
Of course you shouldn't have fought him, and you shouldn't have slowed down to mess with him. Set your ego aside and avoid these pointless conflicts, for the sake of your mental health if nothing else.
The point: he was going too fast and I slowed him down. Seems to have as much of a point as anything.