AFAAA: Ask Foreigners Anything About America

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

AFAAA: Ask Foreigners Anything About America

Post by Utisz » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:41 am

We'll count non-U.S. citizens (North, South, and Central) as honorary foreigners.

Tags:

Utisz

Re: AFAAA: Ask Foreigners Anything About America

Post by Utisz » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:43 am

What do non-U.S. Americans think of U.S. Americans calling themselves Americans? Do you consider yourself as an American?

Anyone else feel intimated by tipping when they visit the U.S.?

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:51 pm

Just thought of this. If cannibalism, incest, and molestation are the top three American taboos, foreigners if there's any variance, what do you regard as others to add to the list?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:09 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:43 am
What do non-U.S. Americans think of U.S. Americans calling themselves Americans? Do you consider yourself as an American?

Anyone else feel intimated by tipping when they visit the U.S.?
I was a bit confused when I first went to Vancouver and a waiter asked if it was my first time to North America... wait wut?

And US tipping culture is insane.

ashi

Post by ashi » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:44 am

I am very excited to see where this relentless iteration on thin premises takes us next.

(I deeply resent tipping and avoid places that encourage/require it. I only think of "American" as referring to the US and don't think of myself as that. Je suis québécoise, je me souviens que né sous le lys je croîs sous la rose, etc.)

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:07 am

ashi wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:44 am
I am very excited to see where this relentless iteration on thin premises takes us next.

(I deeply resent tipping and avoid places that encourage/require it. I only think of "American" as referring to the US and don't think of myself as that. Je suis québécoise, je me souviens que né sous le lys je croîs sous la rose, etc.)
(Tone: less weird than before.)

It gladdens me to read you. Hope all is well, Ashi. Btw, what's the tone du jour of this post e.g., is it sarcastic, is it not sarcastic? I've forgotten your speaking style (edited) since you've been gone.
Someone named Mxx (a woman hence the chromosomal reference, also never learned what her M stands for: she mentioned about 3.5 years ago that she has meaty thighs (sorry if inappropriate) so perhaps M = meaty?) is a member here/there who's since changed her name; she was a critic of the circle jerk topics and applied her intelligence to improve the forum. She's pretty cool. If you were to improve the conversations (perhaps even the conversationalists) what would you prefer or perhaps you choose to not respond and defer?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi