HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Art in your living space

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:10 pm

elfsprin wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:48 pm
HighlyIrregular wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:09 pm
And don't tell me you don't play doctor.
Ha!

IDK, while there is a part of me that would like it all to look less childish/all neat and proper, there is another more dominant part of me that says that seems like a whole lot of work.
Maybe you could simply add a piece of foam tape the the back of the pictures to create more friction against the wall, then adjust the picture. Or stick-on bumbers. The more thickness you add, the harder it will press against the wall, so try the bumpers on top of the tape.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:54 pm

That sounds like a lot less work, much more palatable heh

What about the wonky art bothers you the most? Could you take it in your own living space? If you saw it in person in anothers' living space, what would your reaction be?
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:09 pm

It's certainly not that your place doesn't live up to mine. It's just that it's clearly wrong and I'd prefer to have nothing on the wall which would just be a minimalist look instead of wrong. It looks to others like an easy fix even though that's not necessarily the case. My bedroom was practically always messy, but it was a mess of the difficult-to-correct variety. When I'd go to a friend's house and find pennies under the bed, and my friend would say "just leave it" I'd be thinking WTH, can't he just throw it where he keeps his money in like two seconds?

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:16 pm

Interesting!

When I was putting the frames up, I spent a lot of time with each piece fiddling with the hangers on the back of the frame to get them to sit correctly. For probably mere moments, everything was straight. Random vibrations caused everything to go askew and I just took a meh attitude about it... I'd done my part on behalf of geometry after all, lol.

It would be a lot of work to redo it all, except maybe less so with those bumper things. I guess it doesn't bother me that someone would see it and think I was hopelessly lazy, because I know that's not the case. I mean I am lazy in some things, but fixing it all would not be the work of a moment, and I know this.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:42 pm

elfsprin wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:16 pm
For probably mere moments, everything was straight. Random vibrations caused everything to go askew
That's a good sign! If you have some kind of sheet of rubber, like a cushiony draw liner or rug slide preventer, you can try cutting a little piece and putting it behind a picture without even bothering to attach it. Try a rubber band. Cut it so it's a straight piece of rubber, hold one end, and lower it behind the picture, then let go of the picture in the proper position.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:04 pm

puerile_polyp wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:21 pm
I have these
Oh actually is this Among Trees? I'm in steam looking to see if there's another survival craft game I'd like to play, and your art looks similar to the previews.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:03 am

Funny you should mention this cuz I'm currently in the process of redecorating and trying to figure out what I'm going to put on my walls. Step one is decluttering and figuring what I can pack away. I might need to get another bookshelf and maybe dresser and so until the furniture goes in, I won't know what my wall space will be. I only have 2 original pieces up right now. One I bought from a silent auction and like it enough that it'll definitely survive the transition but I'm not sure where it'll go. Right now it's kinda blocked by some open frame CD towers. Yeah, you read that right, I still have CDs out. I have no idea how many are in my freestanding stands, 200-300?? I also have some in a bookshelf. I might be able to get them all in the bookshelf. Right now there's a mix of books and CDs. The thing is I rarely every play a cd. I have most songs on my harddrive. Every once in a great while, I'll want to hear a CD. I like to look through the titles and see what I've got and pull one out to play. It's really not worth me having them out but boxing them up would be more space in already crowded closets. I recently brought out a buncha albums I had in my parent's basement. Some of their old vinyl as well. I see it more likely that I'll pull out one of those to play than a CD but again I foresee a space mgmt problem and not sure where those will go. I may stack them in milk crates which again could interfere with what I hang on my walls.

I don't think I'll post pics, but right now in my living room and kitchen dining area I have movie one sheets and large TV posters. Wait, do I have any one sheets up?? No, I guess it's all TV. A couple 24" x 36", others the full 27"x40". I'd get some of the actual one sheets, which were the 27x40 but they're not printed on white stock but what you see on the front you'd get the backside in back. That would allow for them to be illuminated from in back like in movie theaters. I never did get any kind of lighted display. It seems like when I would get one of those, the movie would end up sucking and I really had no desire to keep the poster up. I ended up giving away a Superman and X-Men and one with Megan Fox or Gemma Arterton. They looked hot but it needed to go like in a garage to where you see it and don't question the cheesiness of the movie. I have one from the show So You Think You Can Dance. I hardly ever ever saw the show but I like the poster a lot.

Nice that you had yours arranged by theme, @elfsprin. This is what's really going to do me in. I have things that are so mixed they'll be hard to place. I have some WWII fighter jet photos that were signed by Tuskegee Airmen. (I know, this whole post is filled with humble brag) I have some African and Asian art that don't match colorwise. I've got some Budweiser mirrors that are pretty cool. I have a few magazines that are framed. A couple that I want framed and put up. One, a kid from my neighborhood/family friend made the cover of Sports Illustrated, which he signed for me; the other moi. I have a velvet bullfighter and bull that sounds like something you'd cringe to see at a garage sale but I really dig it. I have a perfect spot for it in a bathroom but I'd like to see if it'd react to blacklight. It doesn't fit with anything else but I would like it more out and visible. Plus, I'm not sure how great it'd do with the daily steam encounter.

I have a one or two paintings of flowers that are nice. I want to put it/them up cuz they were done by a friend of my Dad's. Not sure if I brought one or two, they're still wrapped. The most logical place to put them I think would be the kitchen but I think they'd look awkward size wise next to a big TV show poster. Could especially clash with one I have from the animated show, Archer.

My bedroom walls are mostly blank and I want to change that. I have a couple of sports theme calendars up. I never have anything above my bed out of fear of it falling during an earthquake. If I just kept the WWII planes in like a cardboard frame, I suppose I could find a way to pin those up. In my mind I think airplanes above a bed should be reserved for a 9 year old who wears a beanie with a propeller on top.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:12 am

elfsprin wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:47 pm
Interesting! Is it The Long Dark by any chance? I play 7 Days to Die when I’m in a gaming mood and I heard about TLD when looking for similar survivalist type games. I haven’t given it a try yet though.
Yes, it's The Long Dark. I would say it has a much different feel to it than other sandbox survival games. There's no building and no supernatural element. It's just basic survival in a dying world. Much of the game is spent trudging through the snow as you slowly freeze to death, or starve, or are tracked by wolves, or track a prey animal as it bleeds from the wound you gave it, or traverse difficult terrain to get somewhere new with more resources. And you just walk through the wilderness in blizzards or under the aurora and it's beautiful and eventually you die. For me it's not like other games that I play to be entertained or pass the time. It's a meditative experience, reflective and inspirational.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:08 pm

Awesome. It was on sale yesterday for $11 so I bought it.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:51 pm

Wow that's some disclaimer at the intro. Were they sued by someone who tried to use 'survival skills' learned in the game to actually survive in the wild? LOL