Art in your living space

Worldly and otherworldly topics
elfsprin

Art in your living space

Post by elfsprin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:30 am

Do you have art up in your living space? Why or why not?

Post a link to it online or pics of it in situ for all to see, if you feel so inclined.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

ashi

Re: Art in your living space

Post by ashi » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:35 am

I have this by Magali Villeneuve over my bed to inspire me to dream of revenge on my enemies.
► Show Spoiler

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:21 pm

I have these Image

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:05 pm

ashi wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:35 am
I have this by Magali Villeneuve over my bed to inspire me to dream of revenge on my enemies.
Excellent
puerile_polyp wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:21 pm
I have these
What do you like about them: the deep color saturation, artistic style, or are they nostalgic in some way?

Those remind me of WPA posters, or pulp covers. Like this, which was the first hit when I googled the name I go by IRL + "pulp fiction" lol
► Show Spoiler

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:45 pm

*deep breath*

As a general warning, do not open the spoilers if you cannot handle seeing art askew. I have way too much art to buy real frames, and the dollar store frames are wonky and uncentered.

Seriously you may suffer a medical emergency if you cannot handle tilty art on walls.

--
A collection of nudes by a Canadian photographer is spread across my first and second floor. I love these; as you'll note, their heads are never visible. I appreciate the contortionist aspect of that and sometimes try to see if I could, myself, assume those positions lol. I also like that removing the heads has a very interesting effect on the viewer: you start seeing the bodies as just bodies, rather than judging the bodies based on normative societal standards of 'worthiness in terms of sexual attraction.' As such I like this series for the body positivity it can promote.
► Show Spoiler
Some prints from the Codex Seraphinianus are in my back entryway; these depict speculative botany from the 1970s. There are also WPA posters in there but there was stuff in the way and I was too lazy to move it to take pics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Seraphinianus
► Show Spoiler
Some of the WPA art in a bathroom.
► Show Spoiler
I've got a selection of octopus/animal themed art scattered around, these are in my living room and dining room. Mostly I found these by attending local art fairs.
► Show Spoiler
These are in my living room. They are secretly BDSM themed but most vanilla folks don't pick up on that. I really like them in and of themselves, but I also very much enjoy that I can have these right out in the open and folks who shouldn't know, won't know. These are all impressions left on the skin by various things (shoes, corsets, underwear, stockings, etc). One fell down, RIP.
► Show Spoiler
Also in the living room, a series by a guy who takes pin-ups as inspiration and does fairly unexpected and unorthodox anatomical themes with them.
► Show Spoiler
Also in the living room there is a small vanity section that has my own paintings in it. I think I already posted all those at INTPc years ago, so no need for a pic here too.

Also in my living room lol, a queer DNA work of art and two acrylic pour pieces from a local queer artist, commemorating the burning of the third precinct.
► Show Spoiler
Koi wall in my dining room, because I have a koi pond.
► Show Spoiler
Medieval-ish art wall in my dining room! Everyone who has visited my house loves these so much they convinced me to open an etsy shop selling the prints. I make like 3k a year from it, which is wild... especially as I say in every listing that these are all public domain and folks can just download and print the images on their own. The most extreme sale was to someone in Sweden who bought a 30$ print and paid over 40$ to ship it. IDK maybe Sweden doesn't allow photo printers anywhere?

Anyway I really enjoy medieval art and know the backstories to most of these pieces; some are pretty hilarious. For example, did you know that the speculative war theory of the time postulated that you could strap bombs to cats or birds, somehow direct them to sneak into cities, and have the bombs explode once inside? I really enjoy the speculative zoology of the time, as well.
► Show Spoiler
I tried asking my spouse for input on art in the house and he requested Pale Blue Dot and Earthrise, but was otherwise unable to articulate a preference. His favorite spot in the house, the kitchen nook, has science- and nature-based images.
► Show Spoiler
The stairways have a bunch of anatomical art. Some tongue in cheek, and a collection of understandings about anatomy from historical medical texts around the world.
► Show Spoiler
The stairs also have a collection of prints from a queer artist who takes antique photos and adds animal/other faces to them. https://www.etsy.com/shop/jbirdistheword Their stuff is here.

Balcony/library room has a collection of covers from La Vie Parisienne, more anatomical pieces, and more work from the artists who meshes pin-up themes with anatomy.
► Show Spoiler
My third floor is full of nostalgic pictures of adventures around the world, honeymoon, etc. Not posting that stuff here.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:49 pm

elfsprin, I don't think I could get bored at your place, heh. However I have a slight phobia for certain types of chimeras and wouldn't be crazy about the medieval series. :ph34r:

In my adult life, my walls have always been totally bare. I've only ever had maybe one picture on a desk or wall. I kinda like the feeling of lightness in blank walls, empty spaces.

Right now, the fact of the matter if we still have to furnish and decorate, so this is the only picture in the apartment.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:36 am

elfsprin wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:05 pm

What do you like about them: the deep color saturation, artistic style, or are they nostalgic in some way?

Those remind me of WPA posters, or pulp covers. Like this, which was the first hit when I googled the name I go by IRL + "pulp fiction" lol
► Show Spoiler
They're from a video game about trying to survive in Northern Canada after a climate apocalypse. It's a dying world that just gets colder and colder and the only other people are frozen corpses. You just inevitably succumb. But it's beautiful and I find it to be a meditative experience.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:47 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:49 pm
elfsprin, I don't think I could get bored at your place, heh. However I have a slight phobia for certain types of chimeras and wouldn't be crazy about the medieval series. :ph34r:

In my adult life, my walls have always been totally bare. I've only ever had maybe one picture on a desk or wall. I kinda like the feeling of lightness in blank walls, empty spaces.
It’s a lot, right? Lol

I’m curious about the phobia of chimeras, I’d love to hear more.

Curiously, I never have anything up on the walls in my bedrooms, office, or my leather crafting workshop. I guess because those rooms have a specific function. Whereas I like my other spaces to feel more womb-like. I think there’s also a component of putting my weirdness right out there, as a warning to others that if they can’t handle it they should just get out now. A way of placing table stakes, you might say.
puerile_polyp wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:36 am

They're from a video game about trying to survive in Northern Canada after a climate apocalypse. It's a dying world that just gets colder and colder and the only other people are frozen corpses. You just inevitably succumb. But it's beautiful and I find it to be a meditative experience.
Interesting! Is it The Long Dark by any chance? I play 7 Days to Die when I’m in a gaming mood and I heard about TLD when looking for similar survivalist type games. I haven’t given it a try yet though.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:09 pm

elfsprin wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:45 pm
art askew
You gotta hack those frames. What kind of hangers do they have? I think you can glue each end of a string to each end of a popsicle stick and twist tie the center of the stick to the hanger on the picture, the string will let you adjust the balance. Or something.

Or a tongue depressor. And don't tell me you don't play doctor.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:48 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:09 pm
And don't tell me you don't play doctor.
Ha!

IDK, while there is a part of me that would like it all to look less childish/all neat and proper, there is another more dominant part of me that says that seems like a whole lot of work.