Little facts that don’t deserve their own threads

Worldly and otherworldly topics
starjots

Re: Little facts that don’t deserve their own threads

Post by starjots » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:46 am

elfsprin wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:02 am
rapamycin slows geroconversion by approximately 3-fold. By doing so, rapamycin slows development and aging, reproduction and menopause, and hyperfunction and functional decline.
I've been casually following the life extension stuff after reading 'Lifespan' last year. I take metformin for medical condition (under control thanks), occasionally fast 16/8 and see good results as long as I keep it up etc.

One Youtube channel I like is 'the Sheekey Science show' which goes into the various chemical pathways and makes me think I understand something new... which I don't.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:46 am

“Between Oct. 12 and Nov. 14 1930 the eight-story 11,000-ton Indiana Bell building was shifted 52 feet south along Meridian St. and rotated 90 degrees to face New York St. Workmen used a concrete mat cushioned by Oregon fir timbers 75-ton, hydraulic jacks and rollers, as the mass moved off one roller workers placed another ahead of it. Every six strokes of the jacks would shift the building three-eights of an inch - moving it 15 inches per hour.

“Gas, electric heat, water and sewage were were maintained to the building all during the move. The 600 workers entered and left the traveling structure using a sheltered passageway that moved with the building. The employees never felt the building move and telephone service went on without interruption.”

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/4354705

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:31 am

Sea turtles are particularly susceptible to plastic waste in the ocean because of their anti-barfing spikes.
► Show Spoiler

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:14 am

“Although allotment gardens, or community gardens for growing fruits and vegetables, are found in countries all over the world, Denmark takes special pride in dating the phenomenon within its borders back to the mid-1600s, when small gardens were planted outside the fortress walls of Fredericia.” Source: MetropolisMag

https://brightvibes.com/2357/en/the-sto ... 8FllZZN0xw
► Show Spoiler

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:05 am

elfsprin wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:14 am
“Although allotment gardens, or community gardens for growing fruits and vegetables, are found in countries all over the world, Denmark takes special pride in dating the phenomenon within its borders back to the mid-1600s, when small gardens were planted outside the fortress walls of Fredericia.” Source: MetropolisMag

https://brightvibes.com/2357/en/the-sto ... 8FllZZN0xw
► Show Spoiler
I wonder if they learned that from Native Americans, after realizing that all that land they thought was sitting unclaimed was actually communal food crops using indigenous flora that didn't need a lot of human intervention to cultivate.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:05 am

Zuckerberg likes smoked meats.

Googles: Zuckerberg could be a reptilian.

https://www.thelottolife.com/blog/more- ... e-bur.html
- Wikipedia Jack Whittaker (lottery winner)
He had about $130 million from the 1/3rd billion ($17 million prior to winning the powerball and $115 or so in cash up front vs what probably could have been a drawn-out estate payout, which he evidently was too shortsighted and stupid to do, so by 2007 he was already cleaned-out and only recently died after his daughter and grandaughter died within years of "winning it" in 2003. Either he's actually dumb and has poor impulse control or all the attention he was getting from it really screwed him over with how humanity treats people like that (but then again he did frequent strip clubs and probably made dumb bitches and sleazy strip club owners into millionaires who incidentally plotted to make him pass out on some kind of drug while robbing him blind, and it wouldn't surprise me they tipped someone off about the half a million he probably bragged about in his sports car.)

(Francisco Makiel) Hello Morning Theater (Subbed) - 30 Years Old & Small
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:20 am

Chainsaws were invented by two Scottish doctors; their purpose was to assist with childbirth.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:44 pm

In case anyone was wondering acting the maggot brings me loads of amusement. That is all.
:vcool:
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:41 am

Historical: "Taking a Glister" was referring to an enema
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... -a-glister

A term mostly forgotten but it has probably influenced the bulb instrument, named Clyster.
https://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/5927/

Ironically a toothpaste and oral rinse use the name Glister. . . (perhaps deriving from the term, "to glisten.")

Maybe they just know their market better than I do? I'm still averse to buying Listerine on account of how similar it sounds to glisterine, which might explain the diaper breath.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2