Little facts that don’t deserve their own threads

Worldly and otherworldly topics
elfsprin

Little facts that don’t deserve their own threads

Post by elfsprin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:29 am

Little tidbits you learned that should be shared with everyone. If you can post the source please do.
Last edited by elfsprin on Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

elfsprin

Re: Little facts that don’t deserve their own threads

Post by elfsprin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:30 am

Sydnee: But by the 1900s there were all kinds of vibrators available. It was actually the fifth home appliance to be electrified.
So they made the sewing machine, the electric fan, the electric kettle, the toaster, and then the vibrator.
Justin: Priorities.
Sydnee: It beat out the vacuum, and the iron, by over a decade. [laughs]

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/sawbone ... -hysteria/

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:43 am

Condoms were readily available by the mid-60s.

If you don't cool your hard boiled eggs fast enough, the outside of the yolk will become dark, and I believe a chemical in the dark part is harmful. I did the research into the dark layer years ago and it was difficult.

The substance that makes navel oranges sour when you cut them and leave them in the refrigerator, I believe is actually healthy.

While BPA-free plastic tends to have hormone disruptors of its own, a list that I saw showed they tend to be safer/have a lower amount of the disruptors. This was hard to find and you don't hear about it.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:45 am

my skin tag is growling larber. :hurt:

(enlarge previously posted image)
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 am

I live in the same city and am the same age as another member of this forum, facts they have no interest in and which I find mildly amusing.

Luddites and Saboteurs were pro-worker and fought over labour disputes, the latter of which have come to be erroneously associated with (by way of stories of tossing their wooden sabot shoes into the machines) the programmable automated looms which started us on the path to creating modern computers.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:18 pm

There’s a really great podcast episode about the Luddites from Stuff You Missed in History Class. It seems like you probably already know all of it, but might enjoy it anyway?

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/stuff-yo ... -30207752/

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:49 pm

ashi wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 am
I live in the same city and am the same age as another member of this forum, facts they have no interest in and which I find mildly amusing.

Luddites and Saboteurs were pro-worker and fought over labour disputes, the latter of which have come to be erroneously associated with (by way of stories of tossing their wooden sabot shoes into the machines) the programmable automated looms which started us on the path to creating modern computers.
What city would that be?

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:50 pm

Pope Innocent VIII, on his death bed, was told by his doctors to drink the blood of three young boys, in order to try to keep him alive. He drank it and the three boys died. He also died.

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/sawbone ... nnibalism/

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:54 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:43 am
If you don't cool your hard boiled eggs fast enough, the outside of the yolk will become dark, and I believe a chemical in the dark part is harmful. I did the research into the dark layer years ago and it was difficult.
Hmm. I have read the near opposite. I believe it is heating them up too fast that causes the dark film, and that it is cosmetic only and completely harmless. Ergo, only fussy church ladies making deviled eggs for the potluck need worry.

Here's an excerpt from an external link:
Now for the scientific part of this explanation: what does that coloring mean? The greenish-gray color is visual evidence of the formation of iron sulfide where the yolk and white parts of the egg meet. It happens because the iron from the yolk reacts with hydrogen sulfide from the white when it's been overcooked. Totally harmless, but it doesn't have to happen.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:53 pm

Senseye wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:54 pm
Totally harmless
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compou ... us-sulfide
Synonyms:
ferrous sulfide
1317-37-9
Iron(II) sulfide
Iron sulfide
sulfanylideneiron
https://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/pprtv/docume ... ulfide.pdf
REVIEW OF POTENTIALLY RELEVANT DATA (CANCER AND NONCANCER)
No information is available regarding repeat-dose oral or inhalation exposure of humans or animals to iron sulfide.

DERIVATION OF PROVISIONAL VALUES
Limitations in the available data preclude development of both cancer and noncancer toxicity values for iron sulfide.

[but] Since elemental iron is an essential metal, the Institute of Medicine (NAS, 2001) has provided an upper level of iron intake value of 40−45 mg/day for healthy adults. This recommended upper intake value is equivalent to 200−225 mg of soluble ferrous sulfate/day.
A Tic Tac weighs about 490 MG. You're safe with about half of that weight in (soluble) ferrous sulfate/day. Is that a couple of eggs worth? :?:

https://chestofbooks.com/food/science/E ... -Eggs.html
Tinkler and Soar have shown that the green color is due to the formation of ferrous sulfide at the surface of the yolk...eggs cooked 15 minutes in boiling water and cooled slowly have some green color at the surface of the yolk; if cooled quickly, none or very little green color develops.