Little facts that don’t deserve their own threads

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Senseye

Re: Little facts that don’t deserve their own threads

Post by Senseye » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:01 pm

You're complicating my life.

Generally, I don't tend to overcook my eggs as a rule, I think if you just see a thin film of the green/gray stuff it's probably harmless. I've seen photos where the yolk is half grey from eggs that have had the shit cooked out of them...that might be a small issue.

I can't think of ever hearing a single anecdote about anyone becoming ill from overcooked eggs, and you know some hysterical mother types would be all in a tither if junior ever had an issue after eating some, so I will presume it's a minor or non-existent issue.

By all means, avoid over cooking your boiled eggs, there is no upside to doing so. OTOH, I am not trashing a perfectly tasty hard boiled egg if I see a bit of grey around the outside of the yolk (which I have seen often enough).

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:45 am

The elemental iron level probably doesn't change so if an egg doesn't have too much iron to be safe when the the yolk is all yellow, then it probably doesn't have too much when green. I think it's just a matter of whether ferrous sulfide is safe, and that seems to be unknown. After boiling, I drain, dump the eggs into a bowl, run cold water over them for a minute, then let them sit in the cold water for a few minutes.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:50 am

Carbon can attract up to four hydrogens.

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:58 am

edited

I recently met a friend with an alias that has a four-year age discrepancy. Also, a different middle and last name. Also, she wicked smaht. Also, she's black. Also, she's a she. Also, *starts poking Ashi for noticing convergences and supporting elfsprin*
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:54 am

Women used to have enemas in front of King Louis XIV to try to win favor.

75 men had fake anal fistula surgery in order to let the doctor have some practice before operating on the king to repair his fistula.

People used to fake that they had anal fistulas in order to ‘follow the royal fad.’

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/sawbone ... stula-fad/

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:43 pm

I like toolbar notifications of stuff, like when you have a new reply on Facebook, I think a number appears in the Facebook toolbar tab. And when you get a new e-mail in Outlook, the notification speech bubble changes into something that I could see even if I'm not at the computer. And a dot appears in the Notebook tab if you made a change to the document that wasn't saved. All forums should have that.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:02 am

rapamycin slows geroconversion by approximately 3-fold. By doing so, rapamycin slows development and aging, reproduction and menopause, and hyperfunction and functional decline.

Rapamycin is used to coat stents and to prevent organ rejection after transplant. It slows aging as well.

As an aside, the radiolab episode made me wonder: I haven’t looked into the validity of intermittent fasting diet fads, but what they say in the episode suggests that intermittent fasting should in theory extend your lifespan.

This is because when your body doesn’t have sufficient nutrition for some time, your cells turn on a process whereby you cannibalize all the ‘junk’ in your cells, and it’s this ‘junk’ that can promote disease and which comprises part of what it means for cells to age. This is called starvation protocol, and it seems like this would happen as part of intermittent fasting; I haven’t looked up how long you would need to be nutrient deficient for this process to kick in, though.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... -cream-tub

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6084391/

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:49 am

Copy/paste:

🏰 Would you like to live in a castle?⠀
In Turkey, almost six hundred abandoned "French castles" cottages - the developer went bankrupt, and buyers realized the absurdity of the idea. The "Burj Al Babas" project was designed for rich foreigners - for the price of a few hundred thousand dollars everyone was offered to buy "your own castle". In fact it was a three-storey cottage with two towers, situated on a plot of just 320 sq m, surrounded by seven hundred of its copies. Yes, it was planned to build 730 castles! They stopped at 587. Construction began in 2014. In addition to villas, the project contained swimming pools, Turkish baths, health and beauty salons, shopping center and mosque. At first, the venture was a success, with wealthy citizens from Qatar, Kuwait, the UAE and Saudi Arabia buying 350 villas. But soon the contracts for the purchase of real estate were terminated - according to the architect of the ghost town, this was due to falling oil prices. In 2018, the developer's debts reached $27 million, and construction was halted.
📷 @lanasator
► Show Spoiler

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:31 am

They're OK but Bensonhurst got this and it's near a Subway. And THE subway. No thanks, Turkey.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:23 am

Herpetology folks call snake pre-shedding being “in blue.” The google search to find out why actually took four configurations, hmm.

It’s because snake eyes turn a bluish shade before shedding commences.

Where I saw the term:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/derpetology/?ref=share

The why:
https://www.thesprucepets.com/snake-she ... in-1239489