Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Re: flirtation

Post by Utisz » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:59 am

elfsprin wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:32 am
Utisz wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:51 am
Intellectually, I guess I understand flirting. Does that count?

It's kinda like dancing for me, or public speaking.
Maybe. Can you execute flirting though?

Should we ask Maddy? ;)
Fo shur, ask away.

I think the main thrust of the thing though is that the Argentinian nation had nothing to offer her, romantically speaking.

Also she stood on my toes when she first met me. So despite being inept at flirting, the NGO in me took over.
See I’m a pretty good dancer. And I’m a good public speaker when adequately prepared. I tend to do well in those kinds of fuzzy areas. But flirting, no.

I have a terribly embarrassing story about bombing public speaking when I wasn’t prepared, in front of a person I was crushing on quite hard/have a limerence for now. So much extreme embarrassment. I’d put it in the adolescent thread but I was like 17 *wails*
Public speaking is a whole 'nother thread.

Also, why are you speaking publicly at 17? What does a 17 year old have of interest to say to the public at 17 years of age?

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:15 am

Utisz wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:59 am
Also, why are you speaking publicly at 17? What does a 17 year old have of interest to say to the public at 17 years of age?
I used to do quite a bit of public speaking when I was 17. Back when I had potential, or so they said. I was in various extra curricular activities. Oh, and on the speech team. But there'd be conferences with other students and adults. Awards banquets. Being a student rep at some business gathering. School functions.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:37 am

Utisz wrote:
Public speaking is a whole 'nother thread.

He asked me to go up for an elected position to represent our ultimate frisbee teams on some board. I asked a couple times what the position was, and he didn’t know and I couldn’t find any info about it online.

I figured I could listen to the other candidates speak, get the gist, and make some shit up off the cuff, which I’m pretty good at.

Curveball, they had us all wait outside the room so we couldn’t hear what anyone else said. So, I went in totally blind to do a five minute speech about why I should be elected to the position.

Spoiler, I did not get the position.

I’ve decided I’m both that giant face and this little guy:

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:45 am

Oh also

L.O.L.

So he was there with me and we left together and this is how it went:

Silence

Silence

Me: Well. That was embarrassing.

Silence

Him: I’d like to make it to practice before it ends.

*he literally runs away into the night*

lolol
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:59 pm

Utisz wrote:
elfsprin wrote:
Utisz wrote:

Should we ask Maddy? ;)
Fo shur, ask away.
I was in the dark about whether or not I was being flirted with. :mellow:

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:45 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:59 pm
Utisz wrote:
elfsprin wrote:
Utisz wrote:

Should we ask Maddy? ;)
Fo shur, ask away.
I was in the dark about whether or not I was being flirted with. :mellow:
Funny that, I wasn't.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:21 pm

elfsprin wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:27 pm
I think I had this same thread on INTPc but I'm doing it again anyway.

Do you understand how to flirt? Can you detect flirtation when it's directed at you? How explicitly do the words 'I am attracted to you and would like to explore that some more' have to be vocalized before you recognize that someone else is interested in you? Any particularly good excerpts from media regarding flirtation that rev your analysis engine?
No, I am utterly useless at this.

Looking back, now I am older I can see I missed out a lot in my youth where people were interested but I didn't realise at the time. I was as a youngster painfully shy, allied to being autistic though I wasn't aware of that at the time.

I think I got better at this when I got divorced and found myself single in my late 30s. That is largely as I cared a lot less what people though of me by then, and was a little less shy, though remained socially awkward.

I still have no idea how I ended up in a relationship with A, I think she was just happy to overlook my complete uselessness in this area, and is very blunt and straightforward (nobody would ever be in any doubt what A thinks or feels). Been together over a decade now, so thankfully do not need to worry about my social ineptitude anymore.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue May 03, 2022 7:47 pm

A Russian girl at the library started talking to me about the library being the only place where you have to wear a mask (a fact I didn't know at the time but that's the rule again due to increasing Covid cases). Several minutes later she starts telling me she's looking for a job, her old African American boyfriend beat her, her next boyfriend was a sexual predator, she wasn't hired as a security guard because she was white (if I understood her accent), then she asks if she could give me her number. I didn't even get it until I thought about it for a few seconds. At first I thought she may want me to hire her or something and I said I can't, which was a good response anyway. You can't tell how good looking someone is with a mask on but from her eyes and half-nose she may have been the prettiest girl ever to come on to me, but who knows what her deal was. I know there was a protest about plans to open a homeless shelter across the street from the library. Her skin looked kind of greasy. She may have been homeless and looking for someone with money. Luckily she's not here today.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:48 am

I was kinda thinking about something like this just recently. Like, how much has mistreatment, so to speak, made me gunshy or overly suspicious of women? Maybe that's not the best way to put it. More like caused that to be taken off the table, in my mind's way of thinking. I don't look at myself like ESxJ women do, but I in my mind when I was younger I believed that that's how most women saw me. Sadly, I can recall some times when someone was showing interest, but it was without me giving any reason to do so, and it completely scared the crap out of me! Like going to a place that has actual caring customer service when usually you're used to battling some belligerent fiend for no gain. Even now I'm speaking of something that doesn't exist anymore. Haha! It was like when I switched from TimeWarner cable to get DirecTV about 10 years ago. First time I had to contact customer service they were offering me a credit and a free month of Starz & Showtime, I totally was trying to poke through their scam. "No, cuz then I'll forget to cancel or not be able to get through and I'll be saddled with a month of extra fees that will take forever to get removed."

"No, the channels will end on their own, you won't have to do a thing."

'Nice try, but I don't want to sign up for some additional 2 year contract.'

"Absolutely not. We want to make up for your inconvenience. In fact, it looks like I can get you a promo package of 3 months of our movie channel bundle, how does that sound?"

I'm thinking 'like a giant trap" but I just said thank you very much and they gave it to me. Cut to 5 years later when AT&T buys them and it's back to SJ females organizing office happy hours for everyone to come except me. Though they still talk about it in front of me.