Neurodivergence & INTPness

Worldly and otherworldly topics
elfsprin

Neurodivergence & INTPness

Post by elfsprin » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:18 pm

Feel free to comment on any facet of this that comes to mind.

My specific question is: do you consider being an INTP to be inherently neurodivergent?

I didn’t used to, but I do now.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Neurodivergence & INTPness

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:45 pm

https://dictionary.apa.org/
neurodivergent
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. If this is a term that should exist here, please contact APA to report: http://www.apa.org/support/contact.aspx
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... odivergent
“neurodivergent”
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

neurodiverse
neurodiversity
divergent
convergent
neurobiologist
neuroimaging
neuropteran
neuropterans
neuropterist
neuropteron
neuropterons
neurosurgeon
neurosurgeons
neurosurgery
neurobiologists
neurodevelopment
neurodevelopmental
neurofilament
negligent
nondiverse

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:53 pm

:p

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:33 pm

Oh, crazy! Madrigal may be the most normal one here and she reminds people of Kramer from Seinfeld, so yes.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:15 am

Naw, neurodivergence (ND) definitely does not equal craziness.

That ND label, I find, has negative connotations. But it’s not inherently negative; it’s just branded as such by the neurotypical (NT) masses.

It’s interesting: I think a lot of INTPs take some pride in being rare, like 3-5% of the population is it? IDK I’d have to look it up and I don’t want to right now. But I think some INTPs might feel offended at being labeled ND. But that’s just BS from all the normies who as a majority get to collectively dictate how people ‘should be’ in order for them to be the most comfortable right?

ND should never be seen as inherently inferior. It’s just different, and it brings its own unique merits to the table.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:39 pm

I personally just needed a little tweak here and there from my environment to appear 1000% more normal. I don't even remember most of the traits on INTPs. There are certain kinds of people I would try to avoid who are probably dispersed throughout other personalities, like reckless (anti-public safety laws, unhealthy lifestyle) and slightly sociopathic people, even most of the time those traits don't show, then there are NDs who may be...homebodies? Quiet talkers? Who I wouldn't mind being around or working for. To what extent doesn't a non-autistic INTP fit in with people or understand social cues? Is it that bad?

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 am

That definition of neurodivergent seems tautological. You have to have a definition of typical for atypical to have any meaning.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:32 am

puerile_polyp wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 am
That definition of neurodivergent seems tautological. You have to have a definition of typical for atypical to have any meaning.
Right? Which is why it’s so nonsensical that it carries a negative connotation.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:10 am

elfsprin wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:32 am
puerile_polyp wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 am
Right? Which is why it’s so nonsensical that it carries a negative connotation.
Well. The ways in which our brains work the same are the common ground that allow us to communicate. Just like culture. But the ways in which our brains work differently are the diversity that makes us stronger together than as individuals. As in all things balance is the key. But there's no objective "typical" either, just commonalities within a subset.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:24 am

I do believe INTPs to be neurodivergent. In some sense I've always thought that I thought differently but since I only had my own mind, I had no other point of reference to compare. I would mostly look at answers or preferences or behaviors of others and knew mine was different. Sometimes so vastly different I struggled to understand how others thought. I've had like friends or co-workers or group members ask me questions, like, what I did over the w/e, just to count how many instances of efficient measures I'd exercise in my daily life. Just in general, I don't know if it's exactly rambling but I'd sometimes feel compelled to tell the reasons why I'd make a decision or all the things I had to consider and that's when I'd hear people call me weird. I'd agree but I never knew why people would say that at seemingly odd times. Like, OK, that's a given but how does a trip to the grocery store point that out? Doesn't everyone do that?

Despite trying to learn more about mbti for a good 20 years, it's only been relatively recently that I've understood the concepts and importance of introverted sensing and extrovert intuition in how my brain works and how reliant I am on them. There are other aspects of my brain and thinking I don't really understand what's at work or why they function the way they do but Ne and Si can be my superpowers. I suspect that's the case for many INTPs. If you work in a job where those functions are called upon, you're a hero and accepted despite what constant internal reflection may cause one to lose in social normalcy. If they aren't required or your in an environment where others haven't seen the value of such tools, but yet they somehow come to light, which inevitably breaks the norm or standard practice, you're really in for heavy isolation, if not driven out.