Speech patterns

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Speech patterns

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:58 pm

I was thinking about associations between speech patterns and other things. Lou Costello had the snappiest speech pattern I've ever heard. It made me think of the way pigeons and some other animals turn their heads quickly, like every look is an emergency. I think I came across a word for that kind of movement but I forgot it. So, was he dumb like a pigeon, just speaking the essentials without taking time for more complex thought? Or was he generally quick and able to enunciate things quickly due to high intelligence? It sounds unusual, so maybe people who speak like that are a little socially awkward while having advanced verbal skills in other ways. IDK

So, today I met a girl I grew up with. She used to have a snappy speech pattern from what I remember but she sounds more normal now. Totally different voice though. IDK whether her speech pattern and voice both changed due to mental or physical deterioration or if the speech pattern changed due to her evolving personality or what.

So IDK about any of this and I though I'd share. Thanks.

Yesterday

Re: Speech patterns

Post by Yesterday » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:39 am

I'm roommates with a guy who speaks like he's ashamed of speaking. Lots of word slurring. Like he can barely get the syllables out kinda thing. So I frequently reassure him through various means that he's fun to talk with because he's a good communicator. And to speak louder. I suspect his is a self-esteem issue. There's a bit of self-pity going on too.

Also, I semi specialize in positive self-image therapy.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:33 pm

I recently overheard my roommate speaking at normal volume with crisp enunciation from another room. Then went all shy when I came around and hid his beer? Not so sure because I don't like to pry. It was a tallish sorta aluminum can but the label wasn't visible though. Yeah but I've given this tons of thought like my idol does about everything - icon JP - and Stephens my new project. I think he needs a little Jesus in 'em. And some hugs. He just doesn't know his potential I think.

Yes, I realize I'm hilarious. Thanks
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Yesterday wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:33 pm
I recently overheard my roommate speaking at normal volume with crisp enunciation from another room. Then went all shy when I came around and hid his beer? Not so sure because I don't like to pry. It was a tallish sorta aluminum can but the label wasn't visible though. Yeah but I've given this tons of thought like my idol does about everything - icon JP - and Stephens my new project. I think he needs a little Jesus in 'em. And some hugs. He just doesn't know his potential I think.

Yes, I realize I'm hilarious. Thanks
The joke is my roommate starts to suddenly slur his words when I come around because he immediately chugs his beer, gets drunk, which means he really chugs a lot of beer, all because he doesn't like me lol. But I don't see the beer or suspect inebriation because I'm such a naive do-gooder I am. Or it's probably because I'm in denial which is even funnier right? But all that probably didn't come across very well as usual lol. I'm gonna get better at communicating my sense of humor. Just using this site to perfect it. But I know I'm onto something... :lol:
ENTP

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:09 am

My own speech is dependent on the audience, as I can be extremely direct and probing with questions, or will kind of seem slurred and disengaged if I would rather avoid interaction, and use words that convey a lack of enthusiasm if I believe that carrying on discussion is more of a problem than it is worth (depending on how intuitive someone is.)

In a weird way this topic reminds me of Adam Lanza who had delayed speech and went through speech therapy. His expressions and structure of words are very sensorlike and "matter of fact."

At 14:40 Adam Lanza called an anarchy Radioshow and sympathizes with Travis the chimp (who incidentally had a connection to the Sandy Hook area) who went berzerk and became aggressive (and was actually on Paxil because he was unable to mate in domestication and probably needed to have his nuts chopped off, but that's another story.)

INTP - Adam Lanza ( https://www.personality-database.com/pr ... ality-type )

Whether his blank-affect is the result of "maturity" or really hinted at a psychopathic nature, the way he seemed to try to rationalize through projection was rather odd, as he clearly identified with Travis, being that he would purposely use the age that the Chimp was killed, as though he intended to carry out attacking his own identity as a human-chimp in arrested development and use the event as a "sounding board" for his own manifesto of sorts.

It could be that someone like Adam would communicate only when he had a prearranged discussion established which could then be used to articulate a narrow conversation that didn't allow much room for articulation aside from that particular topic. It's a structured and familiar topic which in a way is also a cry for attention since he identifies with the static identity of something which has no room to be unpredictable since it has already ceased to deviate from an absolute.

He reminds me of people I knew in HS (someone that is most likely an ISTJ who obsessed about becoming an Army Ranger--though did join the Army--came from a messed up childhood,) an INTJ who looked visually similar as a smiley Bill Gates (and incidentally had his father work at Microsoft) variation of Adam Lanza who seemed to disappear completely from any internet activity after losing his job from an oil company after getting an MBA, and seemingly having no prospects afterward (or he concealed his job activity without removing his Linkedin,) and then an INTJ whose sister became a Professor at the same university he attended whose brother just disappeared off the face of the earth (and she seems to avoid posting any reference to. All of them seemed expressive when in HS but also perhaps somewhat specific to their type (if not also self-defeating and showing vulnerability and apprehension, and one seemingly opening up about their hopes to become a game developer which I doubt ever worked out, even if he was more than capable of it.) I suspect society just seems out-of-place for some, and so people when feeling dejected just lose focus or escape from themselves in unhealthy ways. Some of them were no doubt aspie/autism spectrum to some extent, but also highly gifted aside from the Army Ranger dude who is the only person I saw a social media profile, where he derps about being a pretend 'CEO' of a board game company which appeared inspired from some unknown/unpopular Japanese manga. Most of them were extreme nerds.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2