Bachelor Chow

Worldly and otherworldly topics
last_caress

Re: Bachelor Chow

Post by last_caress » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:09 am

It's 50/50 takeout or a cheese sandwich or instant mashed potatoes.

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:11 am

I just drank milk out of a horseradish jar.My cup cabinet was covered with a tarp.

starjots

Post by starjots » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:07 am

Not a bachelor, but when we're busy, one staple is burritos from a local restaurant drive through. Tonight it was chicken enchilada burritos with added rice and green chile, $10 for 2 people. It would be hard to cook a decent meal cheaper than that.

My default cooking mode seems to be pasta with this or that from the pantry. Whatever level of effort, from low to high, I can make a progressively better pasta dish.

College kids are more basic. When we moved in and cleaned out this place after renting it to college kids, I found no less than 12 almost empty jars of peanut butter. Someone must have been living on the stuff.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:29 pm

I'm guessing bachelorette chow consists of the same things only eaten delicately in neat little dainty helpings. Chicks crack me up. I'm currently into the trending muscle-bound fad amongst females doing cross-fit. It's so strange looking. If I watch them videos once, ... I'm going to watch 'em twice. They always hook me in with their video thumbnails of butts. And it isn't as if butts are basically this homogeneous appearing muscle group amongst that crowd. Of course not, you gotta see each and every female cross-fit butt because they all look different.
:dont:

This website is pointless with no commenters 😭
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:58 pm

Yesterday wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:29 pm
And it isn't as if butts are basically this homogeneous appearing muscle group amongst that crowd. Of course not, you gotta see each and every female cross-fit butt because they all look different.
Yes they do all look different, maybe not at first glance but the closer you look, the more you see them in motion, it's like exploring a new landscape every time.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:31 pm

Christmas comes early for some
https://fb.watch/hyWWKJI68b/?mibextid=VhDh1V

Realistically, cooking a turkey (450 Fahrenheit for 45 minutes, 6-8 hours 170 will make the bone fall apart from the meat) and freeze the meat, and boil the larger bones for 8 hours, and place the refrigerated gelatin with fat skimmed off into the bone broth and cook rice, dried vegetable blend, and something like cooked garbanzo.

Use the giblets made into gravy and use up 10 year expired dried mashed potatoes.

I attempted to brine the turkey as it was thawing in a large pot, using a small slit at the top to fill a tea brine using various salts and seasoning, and when it was done used a large roast slow cooker and incorporated a ton of season mixed using mortar and pestle (black pepper, fenugreek, dry mustard, celery salt, thyme, sage, parsley, garlic, onion, etc.)
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:10 pm

^^^I used to make bone broth but then I read about lead in practically all bones so I stopped. And a few days ago I read about harmful levels of heavy metals in most dark chocolate so I'm rethinking putting Hershey's cocoa powder in my coffee. I think 3 tbsp cocoa powder are in an ounce of unsweetened chocolate so at the very least I'm not using more than 1 tbsp a day. Probably, I'll use it every other day. Maybe I'll quit the cocoa altogether.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:03 pm

That's interesting news (that dark chocolate contains heavy metals). I had missed that. Fortunately, I am not a big consumer of it. However, one of my primary motives for buying dark chocolate specifically, is that is supposedly good for you. If it's doing me more harm than good, I can certainly move on to other treats that are unhealthy simply due to empty calories.

Many of these hyped up healthy foods seem to fall apart under scrutiny.

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue May 23, 2023 2:35 am

This is how I do Ellio's frozen pizza. I shovel all that on top when it's almost done. Sometimes I use spinach.
Attachments
IMG_20230522_191952032.jpg
IMG_20230522_191952032.jpg (119.41 KiB) Viewed 12028 times

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:35 pm

Beef jerky (since I got too much crap that would spoil and freezing wasn't an option.)

One recipe refers to 80 (celsius? which is 176 Fahrenheit?) in an oven though the recommendations on temp is all over, and usually start at higher temps (160-165) and go down to 145 for about 7 hours total, though this recommends only using 145 (yet it's very much advised to have internal temp reach at least 160,) for a minimum of 10 hours minimum for long-term storage.)

https://foodpreservingtips.com/how-long ... explained/
Spoiler
Show
As a general rule to preserve beef jerky, you need to dehydrate it for a period from 10 to 15 hours.

If you have different temperatures in your dehydrator, you can set it to the highest setting, but the correct temperature is 145 degrees Fahrenheit
I also used beer in place of water, and jerk season i ground up earlier.

My notes
Spoiler
Show
(use gochujang, dashi, sesame seed, and buldak 2x spicy hot sauce packet in alternate version and the first marinade, for 4 hours)

Food dehydrator:

Dry for 3 hours at 165 degrees allowing the internal temperature to reach 160 degrees and then
turn down to 145F. Check the meat after 4 hours and keep drying until the jerky bends and cracks, but does not break in half.
(Total 7 hrs)

Alt

place in a food dehydrator at 160°F for 2 hours,
reduce heat to 155°F and dehydrate 2 1/2 to 3 more hours, flipping halfway through.
(Total 4 1/2 hrs)

Marinade 1-8 hrs

1lb eye of round

Marinade
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cold water
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Optional
1/4 tsp Curing Salt Prague Powder #1 (regular salt with apx 6% sodium nitrite)

https://www.jerkyholic.com/how-to-make- ... ehydrator/

Alt

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® top round, sliced with the grain 1/8-inch thick, 2 to 4-inches wide
1/4 cup gochujang
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Alt

Ingredients
4 pounds round steak, thinly sliced
7 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 Asian pear (aka, Apple Pear)
1 cup of soy sauce
1 cup of sugar
1/2 tbsp of ground black pepper
1/4 cup of sesame oil
1/4 cup gochujang (optional)
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2