Internal monologue

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: Internal monologue

Post by Madrigal » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:41 pm

I don't have an internal monologue. Do people with an internal monologue go around saying things in their head like, "I'm hungry, I wonder if I need to shop for groceries," etc? Or literally hearing their own voice reasoning things out like, "If I do this, so and so will happen, but if I do that..."? Just seems weird to me.
Light Leak wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:27 am
I don't know if I have one. I don't have a voice that narrates every thing I do or anything like that. I don't even think in words all the time. I mean I do sometimes, like now when I'm trying to write something or if I'm having a conversation in my head, but that's usually not a monologue. It's usually a conversation with someone else. I practice in my head before I say things IRL a lot of the time.
Exactly, this is more like it. I might be recalling a convo or imagining a future convo, but it's not really a monologue with myself. I might sometimes blurt something out to nobody, like, "I forgot X" or "Here it is!" or short phrases like that, but I don't have a monologue running in my head the whole time, as far as I know.

starjots

Post by starjots » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:50 pm

If you internal dialogue is a monologue, you're an introvert. If it is a dialogue with an imaginary person, you must be an extrovert! /joke

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:12 pm

I sometimes imagine what I'd say in certain situations, sometimes imagining I'm a celebrity being interviewed or trying to be funny. Too often I can't think of a word or name that I want to use. The words and names I've forgotten included symmetrical, idiom, and Pat Boone. I seem to be unable to immediately recall Pat Boone's name most of the time that I try to.