Implicit Bias

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Yesterday

Implicit Bias

Post by Yesterday » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:24 pm

What are our implicit biases and how should we respond appropriately to those in this thread/or outside of it to demonstrate authentic interest in rehabilitating our collective unfounded beliefs?

Edited
Last edited by Yesterday on Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Tags:

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Re: Implicit Bias

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:02 pm

I already qualify for some senior communities, but I ain't roomin with no nineties-something, and I'm not rehabin, no no no. I'm not changing anything, but I do size people up on little things. I bet if the forum had a big get together, when I.got back to the forum I'd communicate with some people differently based on how they looked and acted and sounded and maybe their age.

One thing I changed was I stopped joking about Asians like I used to because it bothered people in ways and to extents that I didn't want. There was no real bias in it from me though. I noticed that a whole Asian hate thing started across the US when I left Ptah's forum. The climate for Asian jokes is worse than ever. I always thought they were the smartest and most beautiful people in the world and I didn't think they were hateable.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pm

I have an implicit bias where I view humanity as feeble and power-hungry, whereby individuals will usurp control over others under the pretense of biases that appear outwardly as altruistic, though are in fact intolerant to tolerance for ideas.

The same bias which demands that other tell a lie as a truth, are likewise intolerant to the truth which values separation of beliefs and ideas.

Overall, humanity is just monkeys stuck in a cage, who would attack and discourage other monkeys, because the prior generation had been conditioned with punishment, though who in fact have done nothing wrong.

A Minnesota University Is Under Fire for Dismissing an Art History Professor Who Showed Medieval Paintings of the Prophet Muhammad
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/profe ... ad-2238922

A quote from that article:

The university had held a 33-person meeting about the incident on November 10, with Everett and other administrators such as the dean of students, the interim provost, the assistant director of social justice programs, and the university chaplain among those in attendance, as well as a number of students.

“Of all of the conversations that were held between the MSA and the administration about what to do about the situation, the faculty member was excluded and not a single scholarly voice was ever included,” Berkson told Hyperallergic. “So nobody in the room actually knew anything about these images.”

Possibly relevant?
Academic Freedom, Incompetence, and the Problem with Liberal Discourse
https://academeblog.org/2020/10/01/acad ... discourse/

Opinion: The staggering mistake Hamline University made is no isolated incident
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/opinions ... index.html

Something to consider:

Something to add:
‘Mortified’ Jeremy Clarkson pleads for forgiveness with uncharacteristic apology over Meghan Markle comments
https://www.ladbible.com/news/jeremy-cl ... 9-20230116

Perhaps people are their own worst enemies?
Last edited by Catoptric on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

avolkiteshvara

Post by avolkiteshvara » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:53 pm

We could put a bunch of BLM signs in our front yard. That's what my very white socially awkward neighbor who works at Pixar did.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:26 am

Some aspects of this reminds me of the 'Love is Love' adage that was circling the internet for awhile.

Or when people engage in other's for chatting, that their isn't some predatory nature (that a large component to society is trust, which too easily overshadows rationality.)

And then you get the J types that get a hard-on. . .

Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:38 am

Catoptric wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:31 pm
I have an implicit bias where I view humanity as feeble and power-hungry, whereby individuals will usurp control over others under the pretense of biases that appear outwardly as altruistic, though are in fact intolerant to tolerance for ideas.

The same bias which demands that other tell a lie as a truth, are likewise intolerant to the truth which values separation of beliefs and ideas.

Overall, humanity is just monkeys stuck in a cage, who would attack and discourage other monkeys, because the prior generation had been conditioned with punishment, though who in fact have done nothing wrong.
Blimey, I hadn't realized you're so at variance with your local herd mentality. I wonder if It's just a regional phenomenon, you've traveled some haven't you? Also, you seem unusually empathic. Is that even a thing? - seems a lil woo woo on second thought.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:52 am

Ok so implicit bias is a thing based on gender (not to mention sexual orientation), age, "height" (intelligence), race... Kind of reminds me of something I read today called the halo and devil effects: ascribing positive or negative attributes to someone based on appearance. This is a problem in my life.
ENTP

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:24 am

When a married guy does something super bad, I secretly look down on his wife. There may not have been a sign that he'd do that particular thing but I bet there's always something that would have prevented a good woman from marrying him.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:04 am

HighlyIrregular II wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:02 pm
I already qualify for some senior communities, but I ain't roomin with no nineties-something, and I'm not rehabin, no no no. I'm not changing anything, but I do size people up on little things. I bet if the forum had a big get together, when I.got back to the forum I'd communicate with some people differently based on how they looked and acted and sounded and maybe their age.

One thing I changed was I stopped joking about Asians like I used to because it bothered people in ways and to extents that I didn't want. There was no real bias in it from me though. I noticed that a whole Asian hate thing started across the US when I left Ptah's forum. The climate for Asian jokes is worse than ever. I always thought they were the smartest and most beautiful people in the world and I didn't think they were hateable.
My Sister and I are Mongolian blacks and as such have a good sense of humor. It's ok, we forgive you pal.
ENTP