So I Self Published a Book Today

Worldly and otherworldly topics
starjots

So I Self Published a Book Today

Post by starjots » Fri May 12, 2023 10:26 pm

Available on Amazon in ebook and paperback format. Free with Kindle unlimited.

I have a dream of Madrigal doing a Spanish translation.
SWAMI-FEEL-GOOD-PAPERBACK-COVER SMALL.jpg
SWAMI-FEEL-GOOD-PAPERBACK-COVER SMALL.jpg (758.04 KiB) Viewed 27882 times
This is called marketing. But if you are interested in publishing a book or have done so, there's also a lot of weird details that might be worth talking about.

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Re: So I Self Published a Book Today

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Fri May 12, 2023 10:57 pm

Congrats. Something similar happened to me. The locksmith finally told me to write the manufacturer. He's not a swami but he knows people. He's in Bensonhurst.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Sat May 13, 2023 2:40 am

Here's my self-published book from 2017....

At the time I spent many hundreds of dollars on illustrations but could afford it because I was working 30 hours a weeks as a programmer. Now I'm struggling to break even.

It is available to read online for free:
https://guide4christmas.com/read-it/

And I also made a memory game using the cartoons....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 4christmas

starjots

Post by starjots » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:54 pm

Since I've been a member of this forum in one form or another (like the rest of us) for almost two decades, I'd be happy to send a free copy to anyone who might be interested. I'd buy it and ship it to you, no charge. I think it's decent, but would like a little feedback (or not).

Just drop a private message with your mailing address if interested.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:10 pm

starjots wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:26 pm

This is awesome!!! Congratulations. I'm actually getting certified after... 18 years translating? But it'll take a while. I will keep this in mind. :nerd: Meanwhile, I'd love to buy it next month.

I actually am curious about how to get published. I have a book that isn't mine that I was thinking about getting published, but the whole process seems kind of daunting.

starjots

Post by starjots » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:34 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:10 pm
starjots wrote:

This is awesome!!! Congratulations. I'm actually getting certified after... 18 years translating? But it'll take a while. I will keep this in mind. :nerd: Meanwhile, I'd love to buy it next month.

I actually am curious about how to get published. I have a book that isn't mine that I was thinking about getting published, but the whole process seems kind of daunting.
I never tried the traditional publishing route where you find an agent (the hard part) and the agent tries to sell the book to a publisher. Finding an agent did seem very daunting to me, akin to playing the lottery. There are entire mini-industries of people who feed off the dream of publishing a book.

Self-publishing was not that bad. Some steps I did in no particular order:
1. Find an image online for my cover and commission it's owner to make some changes and give me rights to use it. This turned out to be a jewelry designer in Ukraine and cost me $50 or so.
2. Buy a subscription to Canva and design a cover using said art. Spent several days fiddling with this. You can hire someone to design a cover, but I was interested in doing it myself.
3. Copy edit and proof reading. Another thing which you can hire people, and usually recommended to spend money. Instead I did one more copy edit and three proof reads, one after another. I still missed a few things.
4. Formatting/layout. I used a website called Reedsy. Originally I worked in Google Docs, so I uploaded it for the last 3 or 4 edits. The site as a very simple tool for layout with few options. It looks pretty good, but you get some orphaned paragraphs and stranded sentences. I fixed those as best I could, but it could definitely be better. This is another thing you can pay for.
5. ISBN number. To publish a paperback on Amazon you need an ISBN number, which is handled differently country by country. In the US it's controlled by "Bowker Identifier Services". This was the most expensive part, $350 for 10 ISBNs, which I used 2 so far (ebook and paperback). Their website is a complete anachronism, but Youtube had some walk throughs.
6. Write the extra material - back cover, acknowledgements and so forth.
7. Find a decent picture of myself or get one taken. I just fished through some existing recent photos.
8. Pick a platform for self-publishing. Amazon in this case, or rather 'Amazon Kindle Direct'. Sign up for an account (free). Figure out how to navigate their website (not too hard, plenty of tutorials out there). Upload the book and cover. Set the price - they have a tool for this. I chose the lowest price possible where I would make $2 per copy.
9. Marketing. I bought a program called KDPRocket which gives you insights into keywords, categories and such things on Amazon. It's a good product. You still have the nearly insurmountable problem of getting your book on the first or second page of someone who is keyword searching for books or browsing categories on Amazon.

Your placement in searches depends on books sold, your books sold depends on placement. Catch-22!

I might carefully pay for some advertising. Mostly I'm trying to think of the next book.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:09 pm

starjots wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:34 pm
Self-publishing was not that bad. Some steps I did in no particular order:
Thanks for the info, this is all really useful stuff to know. By the way, I read the first part on Amazon's preview and I'm already hooked, so I'm looking forward to reading it! :read: I'll let you know when I get it.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 am

starjots wrote:
Got the paperback! I'll let you know when it arrives. :nerd:

starjots

Post by starjots » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:09 am

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 am
starjots wrote:
Got the paperback! I'll let you know when it arrives. :nerd:
Cool! Hope you like it.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:07 pm

starjots wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:09 am
Cool! Hope you like it.
Looking forward to this! :cool:
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-30 at 1.03.44 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-30 at 1.03.44 PM.jpeg (147.74 KiB) Viewed 27478 times
Though it looks like I'll only be able to start on the weekend, work started piling up this morning.