Fun purchases

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Fun purchases

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:53 am

A while back there was a news story about Dynamometers to test grip strength being effective in determining...may have been how many years you have left to live. Forgot the details. I did some price checking and decided not to get one. Now I'm seeing Youtube shorts where someone tests the grip strength of various groups of strong people, like firefighters, farmers, etc. So I got curious again and I ordered a used
Camry Digital Hand Dynamometer. Pretty much a toy for me.

I also ordered a Dell Webcam - WB3023 for a couple of upcoming Zoom meetings. I found it by going up a list of Zoom certified webcams, most recent to least recent with preference to well known brands. Before that I checked Consumer Reports and Wirecutter reviews, but after I checked Amazon reviews for the ones in my price range there were things I didn't like about those.

HighlyIrregular

Re: Fun purchases

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:43 am

Does anyone else feel that it would be more comfortable if their mouse was closer? I never used my number pad and for years I've wanted a keyboard without one but they were about $100. Recently I found a bunch that were much cheaper. I just bought this keyboard and mouse for $20. Same thing happened with gooseneck pots for pour-over coffee. There was like just one available and it was $100. Now you can find several that are cheaper. But for some reason, I'm not reaching far enough to the right for the backspace and some other keys even though there's no difference in position. Maybe the closer right side of the keyboard is messing me up, like, maybe I'm subconsciously thinking in terms of distance-of-key-from-right-side. OTOH, the right shift key IS farther than standard, which I knew about before buying but I didn't realize it would screw up my question marks. I'm more of a touch typist than I thought.

/

HighlyIrregular

Re: Fun purchases

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:02 pm

The grip tester came. I'm satisfied with my results but I have to keep playing with different handle spacing. I adjusted it for larger than average hands because I'm an adult white guy but I have to try less spacing. I was so close to making the "strong" (above average) category for my age that I know I could do it but I'm going to hurt my hand if I try too much. It was painful by my thumb. Above average for the strongest age group might take training. I got dead center in the normal range for that group.