Butterfly nets are better than fly swatters

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Butterfly nets are better than fly swatters

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:27 am

Title says it all. Cleaner if nothing else. Has worked well for me for years. Better with centipedes than some other insects like flies, but it works with flies too. Catch them, and run to the open door and hit the rim of the net on a fence or the ground or whatever.

For today's bonus content, I saw a bunch of deer running into a pretty small wooded area in PA. They must have come from a moderate size wooded area, crossed an avenue, and gone behind a building to much smaller wooded area. I've never seen that many deer before, and never saw a deer in my old hood.

JohnClay

Re: Butterfly nets are better than fly swatters

Post by JohnClay » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:57 am

I'm a fan of this (A$2.80)
flyspray.JPG
flyspray.JPG (26.26 KiB) Viewed 509 times
It's for "flies, mosquitoes, spiders, ants, cockroaches, fleas and silverfish". Lately there would sometimes be about 100 ants just swarming around in the kitchen (e.g. honey or near a bin). Sprayed some of this - they're all dead. It can kill things even if they touch the residue 7 days later. Also a couple of times there have been about a 100 maggots on the kitchen floor. This kills them and better yet I try to spray any flies I see to try and prevent the maggots from appearing.

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:21 am

I had an ant issue once, where they entered through a crack on the balcony, crossed the dinette, kitchen, and living room, and made a trail down the public hallway towards a neighbor who was on the Board of Directors. I put ant poison in the hole, caulked it up, and placed ant traps along the route within my apartment. That quickly solved the problem.

What other wildlife you you get in your hood? Ever encounter a wombat or kangaroo or something interesting?

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:45 am

HighlyIrregular II wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:21 am
I had an ant issue once, where they entered through a crack on the balcony, crossed the dinette, kitchen, and living room, and made a trail down the public hallway towards a neighbor who was on the Board of Directors. I put ant poison in the hole, caulked it up, and placed ant traps along the route within my apartment. That quickly solved the problem.
Well my spray solved the problem in a few seconds... BTW one time they'd be coming out of the base of a kitchen tap.
What other wildlife you you get in your hood? Ever encounter a wombat or kangaroo or something interesting?
We sometimes have bush turkeys on our property though the internet often calls them "brush" turkeys.
We also get some geckos - they like eating moths. There are some kangaroos on the university campus grounds.