Post by elfsprin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:54 pm
puerile_polyp wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 pm
I quit smoking and vaping
Same here, almost a year ago now. :cheers:
I’m quitting smoking right now.

I’m using the patch and it’s giving me the wildest dreams.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

Madrigal

Re: The food and drink thread

Post by Madrigal » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:45 pm

elfsprin wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 pm

Huh, I didn't know about that side-effect! Any lucid ones?

I went cold turkey but I start drinking a bit more alcohol when I quit (this isn't my first try).

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:51 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:45 pm
elfsprin wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 pm

Huh, I didn't know about that side-effect! Any lucid ones?

I went cold turkey but I start drinking a bit more alcohol when I quit (this isn't my first try).
No lucid ones right now, but I'm definitely thinking in all of them.

Sometimes in dreams you just sort of react without a conscious internal thought process or metacognition? Like maybe you're thinking but the thoughts are just happening to you/in you? In these dreams, I'm very much having conscious internal/directed thought and metacognition. Dream logic still applies, though.

I do recommend the patch. I was kind of dubious, and I'm impressed by how well it's working.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:52 am

Making cottage pie. I only just discovered it's supposed to have more than just a pinch of sugar.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:11 pm

I've been making my own whole wheat pasta since dried pasta is $2.00 a box now. I don't wrap the dough and let it sit in the fridge. Today's man has no time for that. And I don't use eggs. I make a flour well, sprinkle more flour loosely inside so it absorbs water better, pour in water with a gooseneck pour-over pot, sprinkle in more flour, pour more water, let it sit for a couple of minutes, fold and pat it down several times with a scraper, sprinkle more flour, kneed, roll, and cut into noodles.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:13 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:11 pm
I've been making my own whole wheat pasta since dried pasta is $2.00 a box now. I don't wrap the dough and let it sit in the fridge. Today's man has no time for that. And I don't use eggs. I make a flour well, sprinkle more flour loosely inside so it absorbs water better, pour in water with a gooseneck pour-over pot, sprinkle in more flour, pour more water, let it sit for a couple of minutes, fold and pat it down several times with a scraper, sprinkle more flour, kneed, roll, and cut into noodles.

I eat wheat tortillas. #wheat_gang
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri May 27, 2022 6:11 am

Aside from making beer using Jovaru Farmhouse yeast, and Kveik, I dug through expired and random stuff in a pantry and made a thick layer of chocolate truffle brownies and incorporated Turkish ground coffee, and topped with a caramel maple bacon frosting (which is probably a 5 year-old container of frosting that mysteriously hadn't aged,) which I froze after cutting it up into 1 1/2 inch wide and 2 inch tall pieces to be layered with wax paper in a zip lock bag, which works well for the occasional espresso, and is generally better than biscotti (though I might need to make some more sometime.) I was tempted to use old rancid coconut cream in cooking Thai food, but realized it was far more harmful to use rancid oils, so I decided to compost much of it along with the spent grains for beer and went shopping.

Since I bought a bunch of apples for about $4 clearance, in addition to dehydrating I intend to make something called pastila:

The Historic Russian Recipe That Turns Apples Into Marshmallows
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/h ... ke-pastila

With Meyer lemons: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tri ... pe-2125442

An Indo-Pak grocery store sells goat (which they refer to as Mutton which traditionally is what an older lamb is called)
Yakhni Pulao | Mutton Yakhni Pulao | Goat meat pilaf - https://www.mirchitales.com/yakhni-pula ... eat-pilaf/

I'll probably eventually check a grocery store for restaurants and buy Italian sandwich meat that would go well in paninis, though for the most part I have way too much tomato sauce, and will probably resort to making pizzas with ingredients along with cooking bread and pastas from scratch (and using machines.)

Replicating ancient recipes (using more common substitutes such as chocolate in place of carob seed, or cumin in place of nigella):

Pompeii bread
https://breadtopia.com/panis-quadratus- ... f-pompeii/

I usually have the spices for most of these things (except I might have to buy poppy seed. . .)

Why not: historic grocery store pictures?
https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2015 ... ore_o.html
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:29 pm

Half of the video is showing him setting up.

Calzone with cheese, pepperoni, eggplant, as inspired from Seinfeld.

Recipe (and video in link) https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recip ... zone-z38zn
A longer video from Seinfeld including the tip jar scene is shown in the 4th video https://www.buzzfeed.com/anthonyorlando ... n-seinfeld
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

starjots

Post by starjots » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:33 pm

Our vegetarian son dropped by so I cooked my first vegetarian pseudo stir fry in quite a long time. For a crunchy protein I used almonds instead of the usual shrimp. This was spur of the moment, so I soaked a cup of unsalted almonds in water in the fridge for a few hours, rough chopped, and added them in, making sure I cooked them awhile. It worked pretty well. So that's another option for a protein in certain dishes.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:18 am

starjots wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:33 pm
Our vegetarian son dropped by so I cooked my first vegetarian pseudo stir fry in quite a long time. For a crunchy protein I used almonds instead of the usual shrimp. This was spur of the moment, so I soaked a cup of unsalted almonds in water in the fridge for a few hours, rough chopped, and added them in, making sure I cooked them awhile. It worked pretty well. So that's another option for a protein in certain dishes.
Great idea! Gonna keep this in mind as a good way to add some crunch.