Little gusts of hot air that don't deserve their own thread.

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Catoptric

Re: Little gusts of hot air that don't deserve their own thread.

Post by Catoptric » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:52 am

Yesterday wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:27 am
HighlyIrregular II wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:11 am
I get the sense when I'm about 15 feet from the curb whether my stride will leave me in a good position to step up without taking a fractional step. I still have to confirm that I have this power but it's looking good.
I get the sense I've been hacked. FML gotta make a new account again. :palm:
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Senseye wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:48 pm
Yesterday wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:27 am
I get the sense I've been hacked. FML gotta make a new account again. :palm:
Well, if'n you do, sh'up your face and notify Utisz to disable your old account. 'Cuz that dude is annoying.
If'n?! That's a racist adjacent contraction jk. My speech pattern was supposed to read as an autistic dog.. NVM.

I spoke to my dog. He issues apologies all around. Inflicting negativity was his intention but I assured him that you lot are resilient and forgiving, understandable friends. Also remember, when life gives you lemons. You gently remove the seeds, so as to not get acid in your eyes. Then plant them. Nurture them and water them so they grow. Then give them away with a tasty lemonade recipe to your friends. :cheers:
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:48 pm

****EDITED****

(Anyone else want to have a state the obvious competition? I could do this all day... :lol: )

Being annoying was the 👉. But why? Some people don't change. :hi: I'll be BLACK or not. :vcool:
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:50 am

We had a 41 year old guy go a bit crazy with a kitchen knife at an Auckland beach the other day. After stabbing 4 people he was chased by 4 guys, one of whom grabbed a crutch from a guy sitting on a bench and then whacked the knife wielding guy with it. The four guys then jumped on him and held him down until the Police arrived. It's the third mass knife attack we've had since we banned MSSAs.

Interesting that in each of these mass knife attacks, several good guys and girls with random shit they've picked up have stopped a guy with a knife... (one was shot dead by the Special Tactics Group who were surveilling him).

Sad day for over 160 million American's today... land of the slightly less free.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:12 am

I'm rarely an "expert" on anything but the topic of UCLA and USC leaving the Pac-12 for larger TV payouts came up and somebody is arguing that it was the commissioner's fault for signing a bad TV deal that was really oppressive to the schools. The commissioner may be crappy but the logic was heavily flawed cuz it failed to recognize that the Pac-12 hasn't won jack squat in the past decade and two, the Pac-12 created their own network so the deal they signed was with themselves and they (all the schools) signed off on it. It was really odd trying to demonstrate how fundamentally wrong a person's pov, not just cuz of a different perspective, but having more than a decade experience working in network business affairs and finance and actually knowing (though not remembering too much) of the genesis of the deal when it first came out. I think I cared more about the person arguing out of ignorance than the side the person took. It's like, "here, here are facts, here's an overview of how things work. Here's history. Here's some easy, undisputed figures that you can add and deduce. Use these to make your case. You may still come up with the same conclusion but don't ignore them cuz doing so makes you look bad." I guess, at least it did to me.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:20 pm

I’ve seen my neighbor take a half dozen ambulance rides in the last couple of years. This morning he just walked up to the gurney and got up there in a practiced way. I can’t even imagine calling an ambulance if I wasn’t in the throes of death. Maybe it’s one of his family members who insists on this. One time I thought my dad was having a stroke and I said I was going to call 911 and he suddenly regained the ability to speak just in time to forbid me from doing so. Still not sure what happened. My inner cheapskate can’t shake the belief that my neighbor has some hack to avoid paying for these ambulance rides.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:12 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:20 pm
I’ve seen my neighbor take a half dozen ambulance rides in the last couple of years. This morning he just walked up to the gurney and got up there in a practiced way. I can’t even imagine calling an ambulance if I wasn’t in the throes of death. Maybe it’s one of his family members who insists on this. One time I thought my dad was having a stroke and I said I was going to call 911 and he suddenly regained the ability to speak just in time to forbid me from doing so. Still not sure what happened. My inner cheapskate can’t shake the belief that my neighbor has some hack to avoid paying for these ambulance rides.
Welcome back fellow miser. :thumbsup:

Allegedly, I once stayed at a homeless shelter to save on coin.
ENTP

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:02 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:20 pm
How old is your neighbor?

Learn the other signs of having a stroke. One key thing to remember is that old people are incredibly stubborn. Don't be afraid to override them when it comes to medical attention. Even if you call paramedics, if things really do seem alright, they can refuse them. I don't know if there's any set rule for this but I'd suspect you can prolly get out even paying a false alarm fee on your first time.

Anyway, a few years back my mom had a stroke but it wasn't obvious when it was happening. She had gone shopping earlier in the day and was having some vision issues. I forget what exactly. Nothing major, kinda like eyes having trouble adjusting from coming inside after it's really bright outside. It went away. Later, she was picking up her meds at the pharmacy and was having some difficulty speaking. She told the pharmacist, who happened to be a fill-in from the regular people who worked there, "I know what the word is but I can't get it out" and I'm not sure if there was any other sign but the lady immediately had my mom take a seat and called the ambulance because she recognized that she was having a stroke. They came, took her to the hospital and gave her whatever that stroke medication is that does wonders if taken within like the first 4 hours.

My mom said she wasn't experiencing a headache when it happened. She did have two of the warning signs but not at the same time. I praise God for this cuz she was out of the hospital and cleared to resume all normal functions in life in 2 1/2 days! (Possibly even less) It may've been even shorter but it was like over new years so the neurologist was unavailable for follow up or something like that. I had just left like the day before. At first, I was like pissed at God for the timing and thoughts of having to fly back and what am I going to do about work, yadda x3, but then I realized how fortunate I was that neither my sister or I or anyone else she knew was around. While I vaguely knew some of the tests if someone is having a stroke, if she'd said something about not being able to get the word out, I prolly woulda made some Porky Pig joke and finished her sentence or she may've said I think I'm gonna lay down for a bit and may not have gotten back up?? I think my sister may've called 911 on her maybe a year and half later cuz she was worried about her speech but it wasn't a stroke and the doctors attributed it to dehydration, I believe.

You may not need to call an ambulance but you can call whatever medical center you're going to and ask them to have the stroke medication ready, like you do if you're bringing someone who's been bit by a poisonous snake. People do have minor strokes and go on with their day without realizing it at the time. It may or may not have been the case with your dad. But I'd say if it happens again, try to bring up questions maybe at first related to dehydration and then slip in the stroke questions or maybe ones related to a heart attack, whatever, not ones that he can immediately see where it's going and then have him dismiss you as nothing being wrong but always remember you can leave the room and make the 911 call or realize you can make long payment plans if need be. Tell pops funerals are expensive AF, ambulance rides are just high.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:21 pm

Yesterday wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:12 pm

Welcome back fellow miser. :thumbsup:

Allegedly, I once stayed at a homeless shelter to save on coin.
Miser?! I feel seen. All I could hear last night when people were shooting off fireworks for hours was money burning.
Spartan26 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:02 am
How old is your neighbor? …
I have no idea how old my neighbor is. He’s standoffish and speaks almost no English or at least presents himself to me that way. I’m aware of FAST and stroke assessment. I figure if you’re really having a major one you can’t tell me not to call the ambulance. If you can have a minor one and go on with your life, so be it as long as you continue with your annual check-ups.

Unnecessary hospital trips can really take a toll on old people. I still feel horrible about this time I took my poor Grandma to the ER one day in her late 90s and they dragged her around doing tests all day only to prescribe compression socks. These tests were either solely to make money and/or cover the asses of the healthcare conglomerate, in my opinion. She seemed permanently depleted after that day.

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:35 am

Real estate vultures of various kinds are coming out of the woodwork. The nice Asian woman started sounding like a pushy scam artist trying to get me to switch to an agent she recommends. A real estate agent with a special interest in who I sell to (a tenant in my building) has been on be to use him. An old friend seems to want to take advantage of me. He's not looking to buy any property other than my apartment. The thing about old friends is that if they go back to your childhood days, you may have picked them for immature reasons. I have two relatives in the business and I let one of them refer me to an agent. He may get a commission from it but that's OK.