The food and drink thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Catoptric

Re: The food and drink thread

Post by Catoptric » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:43 pm

Spartan26 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:33 am
Have you made this? I forget where I was, maybe Costco, and they had octopus. I knew I could come home and find recipes on teh internets, if I didn't already have recipes in books but I wasn't that curious to buy. I guess the cost didn't scream, "Oh man, try me!" I'm not sure what it normally runs for. I know I've had some in the past in restaurants but I couldn't remember it. I'm more reluctant to do something like that for just myself. I've had people over since the start of the pandemic fixing octo seems like more of a special occasion if not date move. At the time there was nothing. Like, I'd do it for a Super Bowl party or holiday party or even a movie night, though I'd want to show a film that'd have more of a octopus tie in. I think I had friends over to watch Jaws during its 40th year anniversary. Surprisingly, now that I think about it, I didn't serve shark. I don't know what I was thinking! I'm pretty sure I had Coors Light on hand when I had people over to watch Smokey and the Bandit. It's regular Coors that's featured in the film but honestly I can barely get that stuff down.

Anyway, is octopus really similar to calamari? I saw some of that at Costco. I have no doubt I could eat a ton of it but still a lot came in a package and without having set plans for people to come over, I didn't want to get any. Though I saw some recipes and sauces I want to try for it. Which, unless octo is cheaper, not sure why I'd go with it over squid?? Not saying one is better than the other, I have no idea. I guess if I'm gonna spend money on something "fancy", I'd prefer to go with what I know to work.
I received it as a gift and would not have made it otherwise, as I realized if it was to be returned to the store it would most likely have been claimed out (thrown away.) I always assumed cooked squid is very different and is either known to be used for fish bait or deep-fried rings soaked in marinara. Octopus is something I would recommend experimenting with the canned versions like Vigo or Goya, which incidentally I just looked at on orders I made on Amazon, and I swear what Vigo previously labeled as octopus is being renamed as squid. They are related, and I suspect the "fresh octopus" might actually be slightly pre-cooked as well as it also has aspic and some kind of vinegar brine, and the cooking directions are for 2 minutes after applying oil and grilling on high heat (I used a cast iron grill pan after the 1 hour slow-cook with onion, etc. which had oil applied, and I swear that a Greek restaurant that cooked/cooks (it was nearly a decade ago) octopus uses lamb grease on a griddle, which probably just reheats the canned octopus.) I actually believe some of the canning companies were known to combine both squid and octopus together, and when cooked it kind of isn't easily distinguished apart, as they are similar.

So similar that for the longest time they passed squid off as octopus.
A $5 million lawsuit claims Goya's canned octopus is actually squid
https://www.businessinsider.com/5-milli ... uid-2016-5

It really isn't too different, and the canned versions are still selling for $1.50-2.00 even after the lawsuit. I bought it around the time when I needed things like sardines and Wasa crackers, or even the meal replacement bars, neither of which I'm as inclined to get anymore, but the main distinction between the canned versions are that they do have a tang of metallic and ammonia.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:07 am

Catoptric wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:43 pm
Spartan26 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:33 am
Have you made this? I forget where I was, maybe Costco, and they had octopus. I knew I could come home and find recipes on teh internets, if I didn't already have recipes in books but I wasn't that curious to buy. I guess the cost didn't scream, "Oh man, try me!" I'm not sure what it normally runs for. I know I've had some in the past in restaurants but I couldn't remember it. I'm more reluctant to do something like that for just myself. I've had people over since the start of the pandemic fixing octo seems like more of a special occasion if not date move. At the time there was nothing. Like, I'd do it for a Super Bowl party or holiday party or even a movie night, though I'd want to show a film that'd have more of a octopus tie in. I think I had friends over to watch Jaws during its 40th year anniversary. Surprisingly, now that I think about it, I didn't serve shark. I don't know what I was thinking! I'm pretty sure I had Coors Light on hand when I had people over to watch Smokey and the Bandit. It's regular Coors that's featured in the film but honestly I can barely get that stuff down.

Anyway, is octopus really similar to calamari? I saw some of that at Costco. I have no doubt I could eat a ton of it but still a lot came in a package and without having set plans for people to come over, I didn't want to get any. Though I saw some recipes and sauces I want to try for it. Which, unless octo is cheaper, not sure why I'd go with it over squid?? Not saying one is better than the other, I have no idea. I guess if I'm gonna spend money on something "fancy", I'd prefer to go with what I know to work.
I received it as a gift and would not have made it otherwise, as I realized if it was to be returned to the store it would most likely have been claimed out (thrown away.) I always assumed cooked squid is very different and is either known to be used for fish bait or deep-fried rings soaked in marinara. Octopus is something I would recommend experimenting with the canned versions like Vigo or Goya, which incidentally I just looked at on orders I made on Amazon, and I swear what Vigo previously labeled as octopus is being renamed as squid. They are related, and I suspect the "fresh octopus" might actually be slightly pre-cooked as well as it also has aspic and some kind of vinegar brine, and the cooking directions are for 2 minutes after applying oil and grilling on high heat (I used a cast iron grill pan after the 1 hour slow-cook with onion, etc. which had oil applied, and I swear that a Greek restaurant that cooked/cooks (it was nearly a decade ago) octopus uses lamb grease on a griddle, which probably just reheats the canned octopus.) I actually believe some of the canning companies were known to combine both squid and octopus together, and when cooked it kind of isn't easily distinguished apart, as they are similar.

So similar that for the longest time they passed squid off as octopus.
A $5 million lawsuit claims Goya's canned octopus is actually squid
https://www.businessinsider.com/5-milli ... uid-2016-5

It really isn't too different, and the canned versions are still selling for $1.50-2.00 even after the lawsuit. I bought it around the time when I needed things like sardines and Wasa crackers, or even the meal replacement bars, neither of which I'm as inclined to get anymore, but the main distinction between the canned versions are that they do have a tang of metallic and ammonia.
Good to know, thanks! Now that I think about it, I know I had octopus at a Greek restaurant! Two, that I can think of. One in Florida and another one in Hollywood. There's several in not too far distance but I've never known it to be a Greek neighborhood. That was more than 15 years ago. Geeze, have I had any since then?? You've reminded me that I've got a ton of sardines in my my cupboard. I don't know why I'm so reluctant to eat them. Guess I was never feeling them.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:12 am

Madrigal wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:02 am
Yesterday wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:17 am

Speaking of seasons which one is your life in? Summer I'd imagine. Enjoy the weather internet buddyo, you'll be fine.
Spring? What's yours?
**Edited Edit**

Ah, Spring. A time of new beginnings, new growth in the burgeoning garden of life, change, adaptation, expressing your youthfulness, etc. I admire that you quit what you discern isn't good for you and spring new plans into action, i.e. your meat et al hiatus, old job, etc. How's it feel btw? Seasons can be likened to repetitious cycles of change in life (via the metaphorical four seasons of reckoning). Then again there's the age version of the metaphor, Summertime, approach for negotiating the former. For instance, like wearing a bathing suit to properly enjoy a flood from torrential Spring showers or whatever. Cause why not? Fun, duh! :banana:

As for my season. It will come. It has to. (Fingers crossed about my lower case b.s. in Applied Mathematics - Class of '25 or '26 (?)🎓 woohoo!!).

ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:10 pm

Morgue Assistant Uses Testicles From Corpses To Help Win Annual Spaghetti (and meat balls. . .) Cook-Off
https://kvta4.com/news/morgue-assistant ... -cook-off/
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:19 pm

Catoptric wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:10 pm
Morgue Assistant Uses Testicles From Corpses To Help Win Annual Spaghetti (and meat balls. . .) Cook-Off
https://kvta4.com/news/morgue-assistant ... -cook-off/
I sensed that story was too good to be true. It would have been a classic.

Alas...
KVTA4 is a fabricated satirical newspaper and comedy website. KVTA4 uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:51 pm

Senseye wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:19 pm
I sensed that story was too good to be true. It would have been a classic.
This one could be real:

A farm feeding chickens with marijuana instead of antibiotics is fetching higher prices from consumers seeking organic poultry, researchers say
https://www.insider.com/farmers-feeding ... -vfy2pZiH8

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:55 pm

True. I'd give that chicken a try! Although I would presume any THC consumed by the chicken would be long metabolized away before said chicken hit the market.

Still, if you like that all natural approach...

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:10 pm

Last night out of nowhere I thought of the marshmallow sandwich cookies that I used to eat. I found a photo of them online today. Based on peoples' comments, they were around in the north eastern US until the mid 80s. The boxes to the left brought back memories years ago when I accidently found them online and I include them here for honorable mention. None of these were among my favorites but I could still remember the taste. The taste of cookie part of the marshmallow ones stands out most.
Attachments
old cookies.jpg
old cookies.jpg (81.75 KiB) Viewed 22514 times

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:52 am

What's everyone's favorite shepherd's pie recipe?

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:55 pm