Bachelor Chow

Worldly and otherworldly topics
puerile_polyp

Bachelor Chow

Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:32 am

Tonight's dinner is a packet of instant mashed potatoes with a can of tuna and some salsa.

Pathetic single-person lazy meals only, please.

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Re: Bachelor Chow

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:27 pm

There was another study about ultra processed foods being bad for you and they specifically mentioned ready to eat meat so I'll be buying more fresh fish and less canned, theoretically. They mentioned frozen pizza too, so I'm cutting down on that. Now, pasta sauce I've been justifying because years ago I heard cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw tomatoes. I guess my diet is bachelor-like in that my foods are simple. No fancy recipes required.

aether
Formerly: aether

Post by aether » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Rice machine cooked brown rice and sardines toppled with RAW souerkraut.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:44 pm

HighlyIrregular II wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:27 pm
There was another study about ultra processed foods being bad for you and they specifically mentioned ready to eat meat so I'll be buying more fresh fish and less canned, theoretically. They mentioned frozen pizza too, so I'm cutting down on that. Now, pasta sauce I've been justifying because years ago I heard cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw tomatoes. I guess my diet is bachelor-like in that my foods are simple. No fancy recipes required.
I think the only knock on canned fish vs fresh is there will usually be sodium added to the canned. I think lots of added sodium is also the main knock on frozen pizza. I think think sodium is over demonized if you don't have high blood pressure, so I consume both.

Having said that, I often buy frozen salmon fillets (or fillet pieces I suppose). Thaw, place one or two in a covered glass dish, season to taste, microwave for 90 seconds, and voila, a surprisingly well prepared salmon fillet.

Super easy, assuming you like salmon of course.

aether
Formerly: aether

Post by aether » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:27 pm

I’ve been reading about ultra processed foods and sadly that includes ice cream. I forgot the others.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:13 pm

Spaghetti with butter and black pepper.
Spaghetti with a pack of tomato sauce squirted on top, then olive oil, then black pepper and salt.
Spaghetti with mustard. :ph34r:
Sardines in a can on hot bread.

All of this stuff is good, of course.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:23 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:13 pm
Spaghetti with butter and black pepper.
I recall watching an Italian netfilx production about some Rome crime families. At one point, two of the young criminals have a crooked priest trapped in a monastery. They have to wait a bit so one tells the other to go to the kitchen and rustle up some grub. He comes back with spaghetti seasoned with garlic, hot peppers, and oil.

It gave me a craving so I made some myself. Substituted butter for oil, garlic powder for garlic, and used those dried chili peppers one sprinkles on pizza as the hot peppers and also black pepper and some grated parmesan. It was surprisingly satisfying.

Simple to make with ingredients I usually have on hand, so I have added it to my regular quick meal options.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:03 am

Pita bread topped with peanut butter with scrambled egg on top, some canned pears, and some canned white beans

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:10 am

Dry Froot Loops, (because there's no milk in the fridge), sliced salami with Kraft parmesan cheese shaken on top, Dorritos, some mixed power greens from Costco topped with packets of soy sauce and mustard sauce from Chinese takeout.
Last edited by Spartan26 on Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:47 am

Greek yogurt topped with granola, canned kidney beans with cutup beef franks, and heated flour tortilla w/strawberry jelly and sliced fresh banana on top