Little Raves

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Yesterday

Re: Little Raves

Post by Yesterday » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:52 am

My old intp.live account with its genius sarcasm, braggadocio, and South Africaness has inspired another from the next generations. His name is ADE. I have unofficially accepted credit for his fame which if he reads this may deflate his magnificent African ego. Oh, almost forgot to share that my lowercase b.s. in maths concentration is officially in Operations Research. And I have been recently awarded $640 back pay on my foodstamps card. So much to rave about. Love yourself to pieces my children. :lol:

My man, my mythical "protoge", my fellow South African, I bring you: ADE. (Watch the other videos dangit)

The mojo is strong with this one.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat May 21, 2022 2:23 am

Scientists discover an ancient forest inside a giant sinkhole in China
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/20/11004592 ... ent-forest

Photos
Chinese cave explorers discovered a 192-metre deep sinkhole containing a massive ancient forest
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/ancie ... eng-2022-5

Searching for Tiankeng in google will show some results for various sinkholes.

And the trees do look ancient and google lens thinks it's a Coccothrinax (palm variety.) It should be mentioned that Ginkgo Biloba was discovered in China and it has the most ancient leaf pattern, however, this palm may not be that different from any other variety growing in the region.

It should also be mentioned that climate change nearly killed off ginkgo which had outlived the dinosaurs and has been seen in fossil records for over 290 million years, and was only saved because of cultivation.

Gingko Biloba, The Living Fossils, Were Saved From Extinction Because Of Human Cultivation
https://www.republicworld.com/technolog ... ation.html

I remember collecting some of the ginkgo nuts growing around a college campus though at the time wasn't thinking about growing it (and people eat them) and when I recently drove around the campus was unable to find the same trees that were growing their, and they may have been removed (and this might suggest climate killed it or it may have just been thought of as a nuisance plant.) Palm trees similarly seem to be very difficult to keep alive but that's usually if it's in weather that drops below certain temperatures, and a sinkhole might keep more stable temperatures.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:57 pm

I like Tello. The plan I use isn't for most people, but I pay $7/month for 1 GB data, unlimited text, and IDK how many minutes because I never get close to the limit. When I run out of data, the throttle me down to 2G speed and I can still get online for free for the rest of the month! It's not the very cheapest though. You can get cell and data service for $10 for 90 days from some providers.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:11 am

Brazil’s Bolsonaro loses bid for second term in fiercely contested presidential vote
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/30/americas ... index.html

Reminds me of when:

Brazil President Bolsonaro Rushed to Hospital Because He’s Literally Full of Shit
https://www.thedailybeast.com/jair-bols ... ull-of-sht
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:19 pm

Catoptric wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:11 am
Brazil’s Bolsonaro loses bid for second term in fiercely contested presidential vote
As I post this, Bolsonaro has yet to concede. He was making Trump like rumblings about fraud pre-election, so lets see how far he takes it.

The world seems to have a gone a bit crazy lately, so nothing seems too outlandish to consider these days.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:07 am

I had a tea order from Britain for 40 lbs (6x3Kg 2 cup size 1100 catering bags) which they were reluctant to ship (partly because it probably wouldn't fit in the largest $100 UPS box needed, when they were charging 55 pound sterling, but also because shipping is notoriously unreliable or something (or they assumed international orders might just be a scam which they couldn't get their money back from.)

Buying it at the time seemed like a better alternative to buying 40-80 tea bags for $6-$12, and it seemed like it was as good as similar bulk Lancashire tea for $20 which became unavailable locally due to limited demand for it.

Ultimately I was becoming accustomed to Indian teas like Ahmad of London, specifically the Special blend (a better quality Earl Grey tea,) which can only be found for about $12.50-15 for 500 g (or without the tin it can be about a dollar or two less at 450g.)

And as I was considering buying one of these at normal price on this website, the clearance section had the exact same stuff for $2.50 along with some green tea at even cheaper (literally most of the stuff was heavily discounted by 1/4 to 1/15.) I was initially looking for whole bean, preferably unroasted coffee, as I was considering a price range of $7.50 per lb of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe which Rhoads Roast sells which is literally the best coffee in the world when you roast it correctly, but I might start using my drip coffee maker I've not hardly used in 20 years (the original metal Starbucks thermal coffee makers.) I had been using a a French press for most anything but since one of them broke I didn't want to cross contaminate the flavors from tea and coffee, and tend to rely on an espresso machine. The whole beans in the clearance sale are probably not ideal for espresso which really do require fresh beans to properly create the espresso.

https://www.enjoybettercoffee.com/Clear ... -s/827.htm

Some fairly uncommon brands, some not sold on Amazon. Looking at the clearance items it reminds me of when an Albertsons was going out of business and they had really uncommon tea for very reduced prices. Apparently, the free shipping doesn't apply to clearance items, which is understandable.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:02 am

If I was quite a bit younger I think I'd like to work at Rubber Band in Wellington. They've made some amazing props for Avatar.

https://www.rubberbandltd.com/workshop-1

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:17 pm

Edited the shiznit out of this as usual.

Here's a copy of my recent bio on one of my dating profiles.

"As an expert in feasibility, this isn't going to work unless you like having your cravings for being appreciated and satisfied over low-cost hot drinks and mediocre conversation because it's not just about you girl. Why, I've got school, work, a 96-year-old roommate whose knees have turned to dust to care for, and the list goes on. If you're enchanted by an irresistible invitation to the friend zone, you know what to do."

Let's see if I get any bites! :lol:

Dating websites aren't for guys like me who go to the grocery store and get molested by a herd of cougars ogling my crotch for my derivative Fibonacci ratio of length to width. Them Wally World bimbos can only wish!

I need to join a book club or book discord or something that doesn't require fending off sex-crazed middle-aged women.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed May 24, 2023 10:27 pm

I would still use my Sony A99 and adapted Leica-R 50mm Summilux, or the Minolta 300mm F/4 G APO lens, or even 100mm f2.8 for macro, though the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra is similar (only the S20 Ultra has one telephoto with 48 megapixel instead of two 10MP, which one is called a Super-telephoto.) The phone might be better suited for wide angle images compared to a fisheye 16mm (which just looks goofy because it's more of a "fun lens.")

Using 'Pro' mode it limits it to optical zoom instead of overriding with digital zoom, and the details would suffer more if limiting the crop functionality with the S21.

Spoiler
Show
** ANSWERS **
Comparison #1: Galaxy S21 Ultra is 2 (image on the right).
Comparison #2: Galaxy S21 Ultra is 1 (image on the left).
Comparison #3: Galaxy S21 Ultra is 2 (image on the right).
Comparison #4: Galaxy S21 Ultra is 2 (image on the right).
Comparison #5: Galaxy S21 Ultra is 1 (image on the left).
Comparison #6: Galaxy S21 Ultra is 2 (image on the right).
(often the better-looking image is the cell phone. . . but the S21 seems to perform poorly with telephoto which might be due to a weaker sensor.) The S20 Ultra probably has a better camera and they cheapened it.

Sometimes it comes down to how well you can stabilize the camera and the approach you take with capturing it, and a cell phone is very cumbersome (though potentially has better software integrated in it to get one good shot instead of taking dozens of test shots with one that seems better suited; still when I had my first digital camera (Konica-Minolta A200) with similar limitations I would find myself adapting to the camera and ultimately would end up with one great shot compared to never attaining the same conditions that made a "better" camera comparable in appeal (when attempting to perform the same image.) Sometimes it simply comes down to using a tripod and getting a long exposure (and you force yourself to slow down when taking photos by necessity.)

The cell phone is a fairly convenient thing to use and I was impressed when comparing it to the Samsung S9+ (which doesn't have an "Ultra" lens option.) I still thought cameras that had multiple lenses just seemed a bit stupid, though it fairly seemlessly integrates as though using a zoom telephoto (a bit like having a 28-400(+) lens.)

Interestingly enough, it also has duel JPG and RAW format options. . . I stopped using RAW when I realized I would rather not deal with them, but they do allow the full capabilities of the camera to show.

So for $200 I had to use a 'Magic Eraser' and toothpaste to try an minimize some deep scratches, and used an Otterbox case with clip (that can be bought for $10 now) and had to use one of two screen protectors with a circle in it for the touchscreen fingerprint sensor, damaging one of them in the process because I was oblivious which way to position it and assumed the circular part would be less visible (the impression was that both sides of the screen protector had film on it which had to be removed, only to realize that was absurd, and they positioned it inverted in the case which confused me more.)

I've also been using Mint to allow for Hotspot as a wifi repeater, and practically never use the cell phone as an actual cell phone, so it not only is significantly cheaper than using a mobile phone service and paying for it each month (and I hope T-Mobile doesn't change it since they acquired Sprint and Mint.) Why you can't remove a SIM card and operate the hotspot feature is pretty irritating though, as I hate to use a new phone practically tethered with my laptop.

Apparently, specs aren't everything and the newer cameras have some better functionality (image quality when zoomed in,) and night shots. The DepthVision camera was designed for the inefficiencies that they did away with with the newer phones.
https://youtu.be/u2bgUrdjd0g?t=510

Actual image comparisons aren't always obvious
https://youtu.be/MpkhKrI_0Mc?t=738

Of course, you could also compare it to other phones and find the newest (better version?) does a worse job.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:30 pm

I like a lesbian who likes me. She has a nice butt..
ENTP