Could you have an online community like INTPc today?

Forum-related topics
DumFuq

Could you have an online community like INTPc today?

Post by DumFuq » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:29 pm

I joined INTPc in early 2007 whilst having an existential crisis and suffering from a severe lack of validation in the real world. I spent a few years there distracting myself and getting my needs met in fairly obnoxious ways before facing my issues and re-integrating into society as a healthy person.

In retrospect, the community aspect was nice -- I felt seen by others who were my kind of weird. As a depressed shut-in with no life, I found it comforting and the drama was entertaining.

Anyway, I am not sure an online community like that would be possible today. Forums of that size and relatively niche interest seem to be a relic of a bygone era or exist on the fumes of nostalgia. Monolithic sites with algos for content curation and millions of users (Reddit, etc) completely paved over the boutique forums like INTPc where the communities were small enough that personal relationships could develop.

Could a forum like INTP central still exist today with sustainable traffic, number of active users and so forth?

Bonus question: where do lost INTP's aged 15 to 40 (I am hazarding a guess most people at INTPc were in that age range) go these days to find the same sense of community INTPc offered in the 2003 - 2012 era of peak forum?

Utisz

Re: Could you have an online community like INTPc today?

Post by Utisz » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:25 pm

DumFuq wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:29 pm
Could a forum like INTP central still exist today with sustainable traffic, number of active users and so forth?
I think only if it carried over some momentum from like 20 years ago, or if it were on some centralised platform, like a group on a bigger site or application.
Bonus question: where do lost INTP's aged 15 to 40 (I am hazarding a guess most people at INTPc were in that age range) go these days to find the same sense of community INTPc offered in the 2003 - 2012 era of peak forum?
Not sure they have something like that. Though interest in the topic seems to be growing for some reason.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:44 am

BTW I'm 45....

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:26 am

It was good how INTPc helped me have my first date at the age of 29....