Forum-related topics
Blorg

The Constitution

Post by Blorg » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:33 pm

So let's get started. I think we need to include:

-what the rules are (and aren't), based on consensus
-what the consequences will be for misdemeanors
-an overview of the mods' and members' powers

I'll update this post with what people agree on.

Blorg

Re: The Constitution

Post by Blorg » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:02 pm

Here's what I'd like:

Similar to P_P's idea, an area of the forum in which trolling/flaming isn't allowed. This should include the political and philosophical threads, along with blogs.

Another (larger) area in which trolling/flaming is allowed. But within limits: no death threats, illegal stuff, or threats of doxxing. Carrying drama from within this area of the forum into other areas or into real life is not allowed. This would include all the little threads, and parallel versions of the news and political/philosophical threads.

I think the consequences for serious threats should be a lifetime ban. For trolling/flaming in the serious area twice, warnings, and a third time, 24 hour ban. Extended to a two day ban if the person resumes the conflict as soon as they return.

No lifetime bans or bans longer than two days except in the case of serious threats.

I don't like my original idea anymore about automatically limiting mod timeframes. But perhaps we should just have yearly elections?

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm

Blorg wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:02 pm
Here's what I'd like:

Similar to P_P's idea, an area of the forum in which trolling/flaming isn't allowed. This should include the political and philosophical threads, along with blogs.

Another (larger) area in which trolling/flaming is allowed. But within limits: no death threats, illegal stuff, or threats of doxxing. Carrying drama from within this area of the forum into other areas or into real life is not allowed. This would include all the little threads, and parallel versions of the news and political/philosophical threads.

I think the consequences for serious threats should be a lifetime ban. For trolling/flaming in the serious area twice, warnings, and a third time, 24 hour ban. Extended to a two day ban if the person resumes the conflict as soon as they return.

No lifetime bans or bans longer than two days except in the case of serious threats.

I don't like my original idea anymore about automatically limiting mod timeframes. But perhaps we should just have yearly elections?
I would be only slightly harsher: first a warning, then 24 hours, if you come back and do the same thing within a week then 72 hours, and I do think 30 days should be on the table for people who just can't calm down.

Anytime someone is either banned or warned, the post that caused it should be edited by a mod to say USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST etc.

I'd love a rule or guideline about multi-posting. When somebody posts three or more times in a row in this format, it can sometimes be annoying. Especially if you're posting walls of text about 5g or whatever.

I think we should have a blogs section and a personal threads section where people can control their own threads: banning people, deleting posts, all of it.

I want the video embedding feature and don't see it here. Otherwise I like this interface.

Sinny

Post by Sinny » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Now you're starting to sound like an INTJ. I don't see the need for public warning messages or a rule about multiposting.

I multipost about things like Brexit all the time, mostly because there's no many Brits here.

Mara is bullshit thou, they obviously aren't interested one bit in feedback, so ...I'd class that more as spam.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Sinny wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:08 pm
Now you're starting to sound like an INTJ. I don't see the need for public warning messages or a rule about multiposting.

I multipost about things like Brexit all the time, mostly because there's no many Brits here.

Mara is bullshit thou, they obviously aren't interested one bit in feedback, so ...I'd class that more as spam.
I should clarify, by "multiposting" I mean posting several times in a row in a very short amount of time. It's not a huge deal but it should just be one post, and certain people (eg mara) have made a habit of it and it can get obnoxious.

I think public warning messages serve two important purposes: first, they let other users know where exactly the line was crossed so they can adjust their own behavior accordingly. Second, they reassure people that a standard is being enforced so they feel like it's more worthwhile investing their time here.

It's a really simple thing that would make mods' jobs easier and help maintain consistency in the way rules are applied. I can't see any downsides, other than people maybe being embarrassed at being warned or banned. I don't think it's really something to be embarrassed about though.

It just seems worth it, I don't think the way things were done at the old place was okay at all. There were cool people who were essentially bullied away from participating because there was no part of the forum, even their own blogs, where they could post without getting shit from certain people. I think you know what I'm talking about Sinny.

MissBingo
Formerly: I enjoy mall walking

Post by MissBingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:08 am

People just need to treat each other like human beings. It's not hard to be nice, even if you disagree with someone. Nearly every person has good qualities. If someone is acting like an ass, maybe he or she had a bad day. Constantly trying to be the smartest kid in the room is someone insecure people do.

Limey

Post by Limey » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:28 pm

MissBingo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:08 am
People just need to treat each other like human beings. It's not hard to be nice, even if you disagree with someone. Nearly every person has good qualities. If someone is acting like an ass, maybe he or she had a bad day. Constantly trying to be the smartest kid in the room is someone insecure people do.
That last sentence reads like a Freudian slip.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:20 am

Limey wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:28 pm
MissBingo wrote:
That last sentence reads like a Freudian slip.
Mhm ... n constitutes a beg ole halpin' a sh'up.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:29 am

MissBingo wrote:
And a beg ole belated sh'up to you. MissBingo hmph - posthumously harassin' ewerybody britches off n teasin' the corporate pecker. Got us actin' like JVDB. Miss Bingo butt, you bet'er sh'up ri'now. Yo honesty was too potent. It's why you had to go. Now sh'up s'more.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble