The Refugee Camp

Worldly and otherworldly topics
puerile_polyp

The Refugee Camp

Post by puerile_polyp » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:02 pm

Here is a place on the shore for the bedraggled survivors of the doomed hulk intpcomplex, adrift for many days on the grey seas before her captain, in a fit of madness, struck a spark to the magazine and blew the bitch to smithereens. Here, take a blanket and a cup of soup, sit by this smoky fire and tell us your tale.

puerile_polyp

Re: The Refugee Camp

Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:27 am

Sinny wrote:PP, I think Ptah deserves more respect from you. He may not be a great Mod, but the recent glitch aside, he's been a good admin.
Eh, he's a good person. Like most of us. But he's a monarch, and I'm kind of a Cromwell. Image

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:29 am

puerile_polyp wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:27 am
Sinny wrote:PP, I think Ptah deserves more respect from you. He may not be a great Mod, but the recent glitch aside, he's been a good admin.
Eh, he's a good person. Like most of us. But he's a monarch, and I'm kind of a Cromwell. Image
Haha, culture is weird. :)

The name "Cromwell" for me is akin to the name "Hitler". Like for me you just dead-pan said "I'm kind of a Hitler". This is because schools is Ireland do not lax in their fervour for teaching the misery and suffering wrought in Ireland the English way, and Cromwell is the figurehead of that as the one who implemented the Penal Laws against the native Catholics, took their land; as we were taught when we were 8 or 9, he broke his word in Wexford and sacked the place, caused a famine, and killed nearly half the population.

sitka

Post by sitka » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:24 am

I find it kind of amazing how the moment the other place went down I got a flurry of messages despite having not interacted meaningfully with this community for something like... years now.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:29 am
Haha, culture is weird. :)

The name "Cromwell" for me is akin to the name "Hitler". Like for me you just dead-pan said "I'm kind of a Hitler". This is because schools is Ireland do not lax in their fervour for teaching the misery and suffering wrought in Ireland the English way, and Cromwell is the figurehead of that as the one who implemented the Penal Laws against the native Catholics, took their land; as we were taught when we were 8 or 9, he broke his word in Wexford and sacked the place, caused a famine, and killed nearly half the population.
Oh, shit. I love history, there is always more of it for me to learn about. As an American, the name Cromwell wasn't mentioned once in my free public education. I know him mostly from Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, where the impression I got of him was just of a Puritan anti-monarchist firebrand. They might have mentioned some of that repression but it's nine books and definitely the kind of dense material that's worth being consumed more than once.

Blorg

Post by Blorg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:50 pm

sitka wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:24 am
I find it kind of amazing how the moment the other place went down I got a flurry of messages despite having not interacted meaningfully with this community for something like... years now.
Glad you made it over here!

sitka

Post by sitka » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Blorg wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:50 pm
Awww, Blorg! I did miss some of you.

I logged in to the old place out of curiosity. Some of my reps were downright heartwarming. Some of my private messages were... perplexing, but I'll leave that there. There's no sense in dwelling on it.

Blorg

Post by Blorg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:31 pm

sitka wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:30 pm
Blorg wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:50 pm
Awww, Blorg! I did miss some of you.

I logged in to the old place out of curiosity. Some of my reps were downright heartwarming. Some of my private messages were... perplexing, but I'll leave that there. There's no sense in dwelling on it.
But who are you btw?

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:04 am

sitka wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:24 am
Welcome (back)! Still don't know who you were, but that's cool too. :D

jigglypuff

Post by jigglypuff » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:19 pm

i think i should ban myself from posting there.