Run-up to WW3

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Run-up to WW3

Post by Madrigal » Sun May 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Have I started this thread here yet? To be clear, the thread is for listing the signs that we're in a run-up to WW3.

Today I saw yesterday's NYT editorial calling for mandatory military service. My jaw dropped. This isn't doing my paranoia any good at all.

Tags:

Ferrus

Re: Run-up to WW3

Post by Ferrus » Sun May 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:03 pm
Have I started this thread here yet? To be clear, the thread is for listing the signs that we're in a run-up to WW3.

Today I saw yesterday's NYT editorial calling for mandatory military service. My jaw dropped. This isn't doing my paranoia any good at all.
I think this idea (which is also popular in Britain, and vaguely introduced by Macron in France) is more a reflection of social unease and a backlash against post-90s individualism and its effect on society that is growing on both the left and right, rather than an index of the potential for war (which is much higher than most of society is aware off) because it is not matched by a concomitant appeal for growing the armed forced in terms of actual material. And indeed the emphasis on 'service' and the social virtues it (supposedly) brings rather than preparation for war against a well-defined enemy that is the feature of conscription in somewhere like Finland or Greece.
Ex falso, quodlibet

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun May 02, 2021 8:49 pm

We'd see it coming from more than an editorial. There would be multiple levels of measured responses and channels of communication with the enemy would be open throughout. It wouldn't be something like North Korea finally crossing the line, in NATO's opinion only, and now China and Russia are targeting NY. The thing that worries me is that they may close the bridges and docks in NYC like they did on 911 and I wouldn't be able to leave the city easily. Sometimes I fantasize about buying a water ski that I can take to a little body of water near me and head for NJ which isn't as bridge-locked as NYC.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Mon May 03, 2021 2:46 am

I wouldn't say the arguments on Star Wars subreddits have gotten that bad.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Mon May 03, 2021 4:33 am

A year isn’t long enough to get anyone to be good at anything and utilize their training enough to justify the initial investment. I mean, sure, it’s long enough to train someone to die in a shooting war and hopefully kill a few of your enemies in the process but that’s about it. Can the USA preside over another Antietam in a digital age? I think if they could they’d already be at it. I welcome the feds to try and squeeze utility out of the products of our fine public education facilities for a year. The only World War 3 American conscription is currently capable of prosecuting is between the enlightened managerial class and the implacable surplus population that they’re no longer allowed to order into a meat grinder.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri May 07, 2021 9:19 am

What an intuitive thread. Ayo everybody!
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:24 pm

Just came here to note that, while Turkey and Greece engage in their geopolitical dispute, Germany sells submarines to Turkey while France sells warships to Greece.

Splendid.

Park

Post by Park » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 pm

Here’s a good one. The blind Baba Vanga, apparently known as “the Nostradamus from the Balkans”, made, before her death, a chilling prophecy about the use of nuclear weapons and World War 3.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-w ... n-10259516

Baba warned that assassination attempts on four heads of states in 2010 would become one of the causes for the start of WWIII. She also said that Europe will be transformed into an Islamic caliphate by 2043, Communism will return by 2076 and there will be war on Mars in 3005.

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:06 pm

American media are starting to furtively try to rustle up panic about China and Taiwan.

That's not novel enough to make me worried, though it does seem like the withdrawal from Afghanistan is stimulating something of a frantic search for new wars to get into.

(Among politicians and a certain subset of the journalistic chattering classes--though this again is nothing new. Pretty much the usual suspects.)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Roger Mexico wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:06 pm
American media are starting to furtively try to rustle up panic about China and Taiwan.

That's not novel enough to make me worried, though it does seem like the withdrawal from Afghanistan is stimulating something of a frantic search for new wars to get into.

(Among politicians and a certain subset of the journalistic chattering classes--though this again is nothing new. Pretty much the usual suspects.)
Yeah, the wars will increasingly be pushed in Asia, rather than the Middle East (effectively all the "New American Century" accomplished was to strengthen Iran anyway). That's the "asia pivot" at work. Coincidentally the birth of the U.S. overseas empire (manifest destiny, such as the Mexican-American war, was certainly a precedent) was originally motivated by a desire to trade with China at the turn of the 20th century. "Remember the Maine" was basically the "Never forget" of its day.

The most amusing thing is "Havana Syndrome", which according to a Canadian study, seems to be caused by pesticides used in Cuba to treat Zika virus. But you'll never hear about that study, just like you never heard about how the reports of Iraq trying to obtain yellowcake from Nigeria were forgeries even though that story had definitely broken before the start of war in Iraq.