AAA: Ask America Anything

Worldly and otherworldly topics
elfsprin

Re: AAA: Ask America Anything

Post by elfsprin » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:52 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:31 am
It's like people are socialized not to see it as their fault, I think.
In the US we are socialized to think that if you’re rich, you’re a good person and if you’re poor, you’re deficient.

This derives from the deeply ingrained and deeply untrue ‘American dream’ concept that as long as you work hard, you can pull yourself up by your own bootstraps and become one of the 1%.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 pm

You're telling me there's a place in the world where poor people don't see poorer people as trash?

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:18 am

Oh. I make around US$70.000 into my pocket a year for being a computer science professor.

This forum costs around US$0.50/month.

My parents took my first holy communion money in 1992, around £120 (punts).

On more pressing topics though, is it true that y'all in North America don't own kettles? And that your electricity is too weak for kettles? Like how do you heat water? In the microwave? On the stove? Or do y'all have kettles and I've just been tiddlywinked.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:40 am

I have a kettle. I bought it at goodwill for a dollar because one of the queer youths I rented some space to in my house was totally screwed by their previous housemates and came to me owning basically nothing, and I knew they liked tea.

It’s in a cupboard somewhere now we never use it.

I boil water in a sauce pot on my stove. I’ve done this on both gas and electric stoves; to my knowledge there is no deficiency there.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:47 am

elfsprin wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:40 am
I have a kettle. I bought it at goodwill for a dollar because one of the queer youths I rented some space to in my house was totally screwed by their previous housemates and came to me owning basically nothing, and I knew they liked tea.

It’s in a cupboard somewhere now we never use it.
:(

I hear it takes twice as long to boil a kettle over there due to voltage, like y'all running on 120V and don't realise it.

I boil water in a sauce pot on my stove. I’ve done this on both gas and electric stoves; to my knowledge there is no deficiency there.
:(

My thought and prayers are with you.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:23 am

Next time I’ll time it and then you time it and we can compare notes

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:23 pm

I never had an electric kettle. I don't think I ever used the word kettle and I'm not sure what the electric tea pots are called. Closest my parents had were percolators. I heard they overheat coffee so I got rid of them.

We have electricians in the US who could install outlets with enough voltage even for electric ranges with four electric burners and an electric oven, but my apartment doesn't have a suitable outlet even for two electric burners in the kitchen. I could get some kind of hotplate thing but I read it takes too long to boil water with it and it's not really made for cooking. Recently my building started charging extra for electric stove tops. Apparently some tenants had suitable outlets installed for electric stovetops. We have gas. I have a 240v outlet for an AC though.

I boil water in a whistling glass teapot on a gas burner, but I don't use the whistling cover because I don't want water in my coffee that was dripping from plastic when boiling hot.
Attachments
teapot.jpg
teapot.jpg (44.5 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:06 am

Utisz wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:18 am
Or do y'all have kettles and I've just been tiddlywinked.
At times I wonder who is telling you these tales. I can't imagine any household without a kettle.

Back in the old days (say 40 years ago) I think kettles that you boiled on a stove were common. But outside of the previous poster and some old tea drinking grannies, I imagine most people have electric ones these days.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:16 pm

I have a source of heat from my range. I don't know why I'd want to pay extra for an electric kettle. "The easy pour spout comes with a removable mesh filter to keep scale deposits from leaving the kettle." Aren't they even washable? I don't want to boil my water in scale!

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:16 pm
I have a source of heat from my range. I don't know why I'd want to pay extra for an electric kettle. "The easy pour spout comes with a removable mesh filter to keep scale deposits from leaving the kettle." Aren't they even washable? I don't want to boil my water in scale!
My no 1 criterion for OGness is being brilliant about all the trivial and obscure stuff I could care less about. Are you a writer?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi