Little gusts of hot air that don't deserve their own thread.

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Little gusts of hot air that don't deserve their own thread.

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:09 pm

I bet white sneakers have saved someone's life. I recently read that white cars are involved in about 12% fewer accidents. I see people wearing all black riding black bicycles at night with no lights.

I'm getting my Covid booster tomorrow. I heard a smelly autistic anti-democrat likely homeless person arguing about keeping his mask up in the library. He's here every day like me. "The democrats have us wrapped around their fingers" he said, sounding exactly like Rain Man. "Stop pestering me" he repeated a dozen times. The librarian giggled a little during their argument. He had his mask down three times, meaning he could get thrown out, and the librarian told him to leave for the day and threatened to call the police, but she never did. Then he had a long friendly conversation with a woman who said she agreed with him. I hope they get married and move away.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:59 am

I like white sneakers - wait, why are we still calling them sneakers and not kicks?? But there's a real sweet spot for when you can wear them. I don't like them at first cuz they're too bright. I don't like them sticking out, like with the On button on. But then after they get dirty they look disgusting on a middle aged man. Teens can wear dirty white kicks and it's OK.

I like white sneakers cuz they go so well with a lot of things. I also have a black pair. It's harder to find any all white in the styles I like. White and maybe some gray is fine. Too often they'll have a splash of blue or red or purple. Those can be fine for color specific outfits but I don't generally roll like that.

Also, and this is really more of a rant, I really hate that Puma continues to discontinue the tail emblem on the sides of more and more of their shoes. I don't need or necessarily want my shoe design to resemble 1985 but I gotta see the old skool tail! Some have like the power cat towards the toe, which is fine, in fact, almost preferable, but then it'll have something stupid on the side but not the tail. Like, I'd go with nothing and just the cat towards the toe or the tail but I don't want some random design or the word Puma written on the outside. Maybe the inner facing part or heel is fine but not the part facing out.

Too lazy to look for examples but this was the first one I saw. Like, why would you have that gray, odd design when the classic tail would fit in just the same?? Probably even less material.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:49 am

I'm putting this in hot air and not rant cuz I really don't care so much but I felt like bringing this up, sorta "out loud", and don't really have another anonymous place to do so. But I just saw that Jessica Chastain won best actress at the SAG Awards. I'm sure as heck not watching but got an email update. Which, fairly annoying anytime there's a somewhat notable award show going on and I get my inbox stuffed with "Breaking News Alert!"s for each of the 2 dozen or so winners for that night's show. Telling me that Sidney Poitier passed or that Legendary Entertainment sold a stake to Apollo Mgmt is appreciated, I can wait til morning to see who won best costume design at the BAFTAs.

Anywho, Jessica Chastain won for The Eyes of Tammy Faye which I can't really say who I thought should have won since I haven't seen all the nominated films. Though I will say I thought the picture was rather bland. I did have one or two moments where I bumped on something she was doing. Like, people who fire guns or have spent time in the military can tell who's used to firing guns in films, just by the way they carry them or people who smoke will immediately pick up on people who don't smoke in film and TV shows based on their movement with the cigarette. Notwithstanding the moments where the scene necessitates an emphasized lighting and puff or for use in coverage but people who smoke will sometimes tell me who doesn't. It can be minor or sometimes major but it'll take them out of the scene for a moment. For me, I knew that Jessica Chastain hasn't prayed or been around regular prayerers in quite some time. Not based on the dialog of what her character was saying but just her mannerism leading into it.

I saw it by myself back in the fall and since then either have forgotten about or don't know if any of my believer friends have seen it. So I never really had the chance to bring it up. That is all.

Actually, no it's not. As I write this and think about an interview or two I saw of Tammy Faye, after the empire collapsed and after she had beat back cancer for a couple of rounds, and something that came through through the interview was how professional she was in front of the camera. I mean that in terms of her experience of working live in front of a camera and just having the ability to put on a show. Not as a huckster or some character, but like 10,000 hours of training to be master status shown through. It's the same way if you ever see old interviews of actors who did radio prior to making a name in film or TV. Mercedes McCambridge, who won an Oscar for All the King's Men and did the voice of the Demon in The Exorcist. Man, what great chops that lady had. She'd be herself in an interview and be cool and natural and then she'd give an example of her "working" and it's like a switch pops on! Same with real life Tammy Faye. There was nothing in the film that maybe could have showcased this but it didn't escape me that an aspect of her, no matter one's opinion of her or her beliefs, was left off the table.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:37 am

I was in checking out at the local hardware store where there are two registers. Another guy was checking out when I got to my register and he was really singing the praises of the hardware store and the staff, etc. My cashier was an old guy with the vibe of a man who has done a long stretch in prison. The other transaction is just these two guys talking about how great eachother are and the customer says ‘well, I just treat people the way I want to be treated.’ My cashier lit up like a Christmas Tree in a agreement as he glacially counted my change. He repeated ‘you just treat people the way you want to be treated!’

I said ‘the problem is, not everyone wants to be treated the way you do.’ Crickets.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:32 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:37 am
I was in checking out at the local hardware store where there are two registers. Another guy was checking out when I got to my register and he was really singing the praises of the hardware store and the staff, etc. My cashier was an old guy with the vibe of a man who has done a long stretch in prison. The other transaction is just these two guys talking about how great eachother are and the customer says ‘well, I just treat people the way I want to be treated.’ My cashier lit up like a Christmas Tree in a agreement as he glacially counted my change. He repeated ‘you just treat people the way you want to be treated!’

I said ‘the problem is, not everyone wants to be treated the way you do.’ Crickets.
This happens to me sometimes as I am wont to engage in idle chat with store staff. I think the trick is for any rejoinder to always be within the realm of common sense, in the worst sense of the phrase. xD

starjots

Post by starjots » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:24 am

Two of my kids had their (my) cars stolen. That's two stolen cars in one month. Of course, the first stolen car wasn't stolen at all, my daughter just completely forgot where she parked it (university library) and didn't remember till she saw it parked there (after we'd filed a police report naturally). So happy ending on that one, though my wife worries my daughter's a little scatter brained. I chalk it up to mid-terms and my genes.

The second car really was stolen in Denver. That son (have several) had lent to a friend who was unloading with keys left in car. But, miracle of miracles, they found it four days later parked with license plates missing. No real damage, just some stuff missing. The insurance company and Denver police were reassuringly helpful.

Weird coincidence but I'm glad they were found. Used cars are stupid expensive at the moment.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:53 am

starjots wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:24 am
That son (have several) had lent to a friend who was unloading with keys left in car.
This is usually my first thought whenever I hear about remote starts for cars to warm up in the winter.

Good they got them back and without too much gone. I had my car stolen and was so surprised that it wasn't stripped. They just wanted the catalytic converter, like so many others. It's really upsetting. Thieves are so quick about it. It's like what Maxwell Smart used to say, "If only they used their ingenuity for goodness and generosity and not evilness and... ungenorsity. Chief, what's the opposite of generosity?" (or something like that)

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:01 am

Saw the google has a doodle set to the full 2:30 of Get Your Kicks on Route 66.

How can I notify @someinternetbloke? Did you see this? https://www.google.com/?mlLightbox=1

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:02 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:01 am
Saw the google has a doodle set to the full 2:30 of Get Your Kicks on Route 66.

How can I notify @someinternetbloke? Did you see this? https://www.google.com/?mlLightbox=1
Thanks. It's this particular cultural artifact, the Route 66 doodle, which summons such fond memories all laying neatly adjacent on a scenic stretch of remote road of my mind. My Dad and I would've had a blast on your road trip suggestion. But since he's gone I'm content traveling on memory lane.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

starjots

Post by starjots » Sun May 01, 2022 3:22 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:53 am
starjots wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:24 am
That son (have several) had lent to a friend who was unloading with keys left in car.
This is usually my first thought whenever I hear about remote starts for cars to warm up in the winter.

Good they got them back and without too much gone. I had my car stolen and was so surprised that it wasn't stripped. They just wanted the catalytic converter, like so many others. It's really upsetting. Thieves are so quick about it. It's like what Maxwell Smart used to say, "If only they used their ingenuity for goodness and generosity and not evilness and... ungenorsity. Chief, what's the opposite of generosity?" (or something like that)
Right? I can't get my head around it... I'm out for a walk, maybe walking the dog, and I see a briefly unattended car with the motor running or just the door open. QUICK, JUMP IN IT AND DRIVE AWAY!

Weird.